Enlarged lymph nodes

Posted , 2 users are following.

I first noticed a swollen lymph node when I was 14. I noticed it on the left side of my neck and flipped out after googling it. I then noticed I could feel practically all my lymph nodes above my collar bone and in my groin. I went to the doc about the big one on the left side (size of a grape) and she did blood work, but never got it checked any further when it was normal. I told her it was still there, but she basically didnt care. Now I am 24 and they are all still there and all about the same size as they were I guess. I have some SERIOUS anxiety about it too, but I'm terrified of doctors. I had a benign ovarian tumor that I was born with, but not diagnosed with until 3 years ago. They told me I had cancer, but when they removed the tumor it was a dermoid tumor. I Googled that and sometimes you can have them in your neck too, so maybe that's the big one I feel? The tumor on my ovary was removed, but the lymph nodes are all still there. I'm to the point now where I want to get them checked, but I made the mistake of googling it again... BIG mistake. But everything I read said life expectancy is like 5 years... so I already lived 5 extra years without treatment. No clue what to do. I need to get it checked, but I'm SO freaking scared it's no joke. Like... keeps me awake and I think about it all day. They don't hurt at all though unless I push on them and freak out (recently like everyday trying to convince myself I am not dying). Or if I'm hormonal my neck hurts, but my groin never hurts. If i turn my neck a certain way I can feel the bigger one, but its just uncomfortable. Not painful. Nothing on or under my armpits at all that I can feel. My blood work was completely normal last year when my therapist did blood work to put me on anti-anxiety meds. Someone please either save me from myself or force me to go to the doctor...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh the tumor on my ovary was benign... you are basically born with dermoid tumors and they grow as you grow. By the time mine was removed it was the size of a grapefruit. Insane... I'm a size 2..

• Posted

Sorry you are going through all this Kala.  I understand how you are feeling as I can also feel my lymph nodes all over my body.. some bigger then others.  I too freaked out about all I read over the internet.  It is scary.  But then, I came across an article that said  ALL lymph nodes that were smaller then 1cm there was NO cancer found.. Lymph nodes that were over 1cm but smaller then 2cm, the chance of cancer is only 0.06%.  Also.. lymph nodes that were larger then 3cm, the chance of cancer is about 23%.. So, the chance of cancer is actually very small unless they are hugh!  Also.. if your lymph nodes are not changing and growing over time.. then it's not cancer.  Sometimes lymph nodes can become active from a cold or infection and then never fully go back down.  I see your a small girl like me.. I read that in skinny people... lymph nodes can be felt fairly easy.  Like I said.. I feel all of mine also.  If it's really stressing you out and still bothering you, then go back to your doctor or find another one because that is no way to live, in fear all the time.  A good doctor will work with you to help give you peace of mind.  Best wishes...

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response! It really helped with the anxiety. I ended up going to an urgent care facility today because I was just tired of fretting my life away. The doc did a chest xray (I had some weird colored stuff in my mucas) and felt all of my lymph nodes. The xray was 100% clear with no swollen lymph nodes there (which was SUCH a relief). He said the mucus was just from a popped blood vessel etc. As for the lymph nodes he ordered a complete set of labs to check everything. Even a mono test which he said could have caused them to swell and never return to normal size since I was never properly diagnosed. He said since I've had them for so long and the largest one is only 2 cm, it is most likely NOT lymphoma. Which is a relief.. but he also said it isnt his specialty, so he is referring me to a general surgeon to see if he wants to biopsy one. So I'm still super nervous.. as far as the other labs it could be a thyroid issue which causes swollen nodes sometimes. I'm hoping and praying it isn't cancer (because I'm terrified), but it is most likely not. As far as the weight loss.. that is probably due to the medication I am on and all the worrying. But it could also be due to a thyroid issue. I was crying like the whole time, so he prescribed me some xanax to get it together while I wait for all the results of everything. I feel a little better about it all, but not really. I guess I won't really know until the labs come back or the general surgeon says I'm okay.

• Posted

Please keep me updated.  I am so happy that you went to urget care to find out what is causing your swollen lymph nodes.  I hope everything turns out good for you.  You mentioned about thyroid ssues.. I actually have Hashimoto's which caused hypothyroidism.  So, that makes sense to me. You were right on going.. as it's not much fun stressing all the time.  I hope you are finally able to find peace of mind and some answers.  Thanks for updating.. please continue when you get results as I'm very interested to know what the cause is...  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.