enlarged parathyroid gland

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently had a scan on my thyroid and was told that i have an enlarged parathyroid gland on the right hand side of my thyroid.what does this mean? also i am going to have a calcium serum test to see if im producing too much. I am on armour thyroid 90 mcg. Where do i go from here. I have a history of heart attack, depression, stomach ulcer, sinus problems, could this be all linked? help needed. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Belinda, Your first port of call is to look at the site parathyroid com you will then be armed with information about what to expect from your GP and your condition.  Calcium levels can be all over the shop; and can be normal at one point and then high at another.  If they are variable; you have a parathyroid problem which can fixed very easily (but only by the right surgeon} You can research which surgeons at which hospitals have expertise in this field (I went to the Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford; for me it was a choice between a surgeon there or in London).  YOu have the right to a 'choose and book' appointment with a consultant (and treatment) wherever you wish in the country.  Just to say that it is a false economy to be treated in the average general hospital.  If you have a parathyroid problem this will have impacted on your heart; kidneys all are linked.  the classic term is 'moans, bones and groans'.  I was diagnosed after complaining of extreme tiredness and constipation.  But only after I had had surgery to remove calcification from my breast.  I urge you to do your research via this really good website and then go for it.  When I eventually got to the right consultant he said to me ' YOU knew that things were not right; and you should have insisted on referral'.  Good luck.
  • Posted

ps.  It may well be that the parathyroid has been the problem all along.  Ask for a PTH test as well as calcium 
  • Posted

it probably means you have hyperparathryoidism. its good news in that its curable with an op. it can take a while to get thru the system but you're lucky that they've spotted it. your symptoms are prob all down to that. there are several fb support groups for it. hyperparathryoidism support towards surgery is one. take care
  • Posted

Go to the private parathyroid group on Facebook  " Hyperparathyroid UK Action4Change ".  You need to use your real name and say that Elaine sent you.   You will get all the support and info you need. Regards Elaine
    • Posted

Hi again, definitely go for the Facebook group I recommended but mention my name.  There are around 700 members now and have much experience.  You need to use your proper name as we have had one or two undesirables who've since been blocked and are inclined to try and creat a rival group which is pretty pathetic when people are feeling ill and need proper advice.  Regards Elaine
  • Posted

Hello Belinda66. I am sorry to hear you have a parathyroid problem. It can be fixed so there's no need to worry. Can I suggest you join a new Face Book Group only open to members which you can join. It is called  'Hyperparathyroidism Support Towards Surgery''  It is a new group & very helpful with information and advice. In some cases they can give you practical help.  You can join more than one group at a time. Hope it goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.