Enlarged pituitary

Posted , 3 users are following.

Four years ago, I was having problems with dizziness, nausea, headaches, and fatigue. I had an MRI which showed that my pituitary was slightly enlarged but my doctor told me that wouldn't cause my symptoms. Now, my hair is thinning, I'm still exhausted, and have been diagnosed by my PCP with fibromyalgia. She also referred me to an endocrinologist since I'm having these symptoms but basic thyroid testings showed no symptoms. She said I'll likely be having another MRI to see if the pituitary has stayed enlarged or gotten bigger. Is it possible to have an enlarged pituitary without thyroid problems? Has anyone else experienced this? My thyroid antibodies weren't tested but there is no explanation for the hair loss and other symptoms. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amber

Since it may be a pituitary issue,

I would concentrate on testing those hormones

Like acth, cortisol,gh, igf-1, etc.

Lookimg at the thyroid is not going

To tell you what is happening in your pituitary

• Posted

Hi Amber, your pituitary gland makes lots of different hormones so yes it is possible to have an enlarged pituitary without thyroid problems. I have a pituitary tumour and high prolactin levels, but normal thyroid levels. 

I am sure your endocrinologist will figure it out!

• Posted

Im probably repeating myself but

Hopefuĺly your endocrinologist will focus on your

Pituitary or adrenals

They usually start with a cortisol tests

• Posted

Hi Amber

I think I read tgat tumors just outside

The pituitary can also enlarge

The pituitary gland

This might be caused by

Tumor compression,

Im not sure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.