Enlarged prostate?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm 71 and every time I have my prostate checked, (yearly) I'm told that it is enlarged slightly but at my age that's normal. I don't know if it's getting larger each time and what to expect if it keeps on  like that. I am peeing normally and don't get up during the night. I've had a major scare with bowel cancer so am probably a bit anxious, hopefully with no reason. I haven't used this particular forum before. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. I feel more reassured now and almost normal! The problem probably is that because I had emergency bowel cancer surgery three years ago, I am obsessed with any new lumps or terms like 'enlarged prostate.' I seem to be a regular visitor to my Dr. My testosterone level is ok, with top up injections however. 

Thanks again. 

• Posted

Lots of knowledgeable people on here.  Read your own words, my friend: "so am probably a bit anxious"  and who WOULDN'T be a bit anxious?  Sounds like everything is okay for you.  Welcome to this forum, john01315. 

• Posted

Thanks Alan. Yes, I had the check yesterday and nothing to worry about. Enlarged but normal for my age. BP was up a bit, it is controlled with medication, but he took it before the prostate check. Then a punch biopsy to send away to check a strange red mark on my leg but he assured me it's not a melanoma. And it goes on. And probably I'm in good health but am told I suffer from 'mild anxiety.' Very annoying. 

• Posted

Since you had bowel cancer, you are likely to have related scans - be it MRI or CAT. If you still have those somewhere on a disk, or in your medical file, you could find a friendly Radiologist or a Urologist to guestimate the size of your prostate.

• Posted

Food for thought. My last CT scan was 18 months ago. 
    • Posted

Can you get prostate size from a kidney/bladder scan ? Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.