enlarged prostate treatment .. TURP

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am told that I need TURP for my enlarged prostae problem . could any one recommend a good Urologist in Dallas Metroplex area who has good experience in this procedure

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Pete.  Just curious.  Is that the only procedure they offered you??  Please read up on it before you decided anything.  Ken
  • Posted

Before you even consider a TURP, read the posts on this site about TURP,Urolift, and PAE. This is very important.

Neal

• Posted

Good call.  Before anything is done he needs to research all the options Ken 
  • Posted

Hi Pete,  Please heed the advice here and look at the other alternatives several of us have found.  In the ned a TURP may be the only option for you but I would consider it a lsat resort.  PAE and Urolift should bey considered.  Just for reference, PAE is a non invasive procedure that has worked very successfuly for many men.  It stands for prostatic arterial embolization and I had one last november.  several other people on this forum have as well.  I went from an IPSS score of 28 to 14 and get up only once a night now to urinate.
    • Posted

I had the urolift done 2 month's ago and it is great No meds and sleep through the night.       In a big place lake Dallas there should be some other options.  Ken 
  • Posted

Pete, TURP is a horrible Proccedure that could leave you impotent and incontinent. 

I had a PAE two months ago and now peeing like I did when I was twenty. No side effects and minimally invasive. 

Do your homework...I think you'll find that TURP is your worst option. I have no time for urologists....they just reccomend what they know and ignore everything else. TURP is just butchery in my view. 

Thank God you got onto this forum ....you may have been saved from making a big mistake. 

• Posted

my prostate is 55 gms and 5.5 cm .My Urologist has told me that the only option for me is to have TURP. He said that I don't qualify for Urolift but he did not suggest PAE. May be becuase he does not know the procedure. May I ask you where did you get PAE done? It will be a big help .  thanks,  pete 
    • Posted

I live in Australia and had mine done in Sydney. If you scroll through the blog you will find several American guys who have had PAE s done in the U.S. 

The proceedure is carried out by an interventional radiologist not an urologist. 

• Posted

Pete, you are getting a lot of advice here about NOT getting a TURP. It's good advice. The urologists are all on the prostate gravy train. They LOVE enlarged prostates....but are too lazy or dishonest to keep up with the latest developments. I went to three urologists including a female one. She was the worst ...wanted to do open surgery on for BPH....claimed it was the "gold standard" . I heard that TURP was the gold standard too. 

None of them put my interests first. They are basically uninformed about PAE and want to stay that way. 

Laser is better than TURP but PAE is by far the best. 

Pete, I won't be commenting to you anymore on this ...its your choice, but if you go ahead with TURP you can't say you haven't been warned. 

• Posted

You are in a British Forum but we do get Ameicans posting but who wants a TURP when there are several better procedures around.
  • Posted

Pete,

As others have said, read through this forum on PAE, Urolift and HOLep. There are some great minimally invasive alternatives to TURP. I had PAE three months ago and my prostate has shrunk 40%, PSA dropped from 22 to 1.8, IPSS score went from 26 to 1. I now have my life back, don't get up at night at all and pee great during the day. No pain, no more catheters. No sexual side effects. I feel like I have been given my life back. I had my PAE at UNC Chapel Hill North Carolina. Private message me if you want more info.

• Posted

How did they explain the PSA of 22.

My max was 9.8 when my prostate was 75grms.

• Posted

Hi William, I would appreciate if you can give me your e mail address so i can communicate with you directly.

thanks

pete 

• Posted

Pete,

i posted my my email privately to you last week, but have not hear from you. Check under your profile for my message

• Posted

I found 2 doctors in the Dallas area...W. Scott Webster  MD   214-826-6021 and Richard Scriven MD 817-784-0818  Call them before you dicide anything I still think you can have it done PLEASE   Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.