Enlarged Thoracic Aorta -

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

2 months ago I was tested to see if I had any issues with my aorta due to a family history or Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms and Aortic Dissection.  I had the general testing and screening for this, an ultrasound of the thoracic aorta.  After this screening I was advised that I have an enlarged aorta.  This was diagnosed by my cardiologist.  So my life was turned upside down at this point.  I am a healthy 31year old male. 

I was awaiting to see a vascular consultant as I have varicose veins in my right leg in which I am getting checked to have removed due to complications with these.  The Vascular surgeon was asked to check the rest of my Aorta to ensure there were no other underlying issues.  I am currently waiting on this scan to be completed.  1 week later I got a call from the Vascular surgeon who now wants to send me for an MRI scan as he is confident that I do not have an enlarged aorta, but they are willing to perform an MRI to confirm this.  

I am all over the place now confused and unsure on who to believe or what tests to believe.  Does anyone know how accurate an Ultrasound is as this is the preferred way of screening for aneurysms, if they are not accurate why are they being used.  How accurate is an MRI scan?  I have tried searching the internet and I have found some medical reports and to be honest I am not a medical examiner so very difficult to understand.  

I don't know what to do now, what to believe, who to trust.  The family history shows a destinctive history, Grandfather and Uncle died from Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms, given they had high blood pressure there is still a history, my dad survived an Aortic Dissection that ruptured, he is a fit and healthy man no history of high blood pressure.  So with this history I had to be checked, but the vascular surgeon says I am very low risk or any indication this is all linked or any family genetic link.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any answers or help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Stanford Health Care

Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm (TAA) Causes

Thoracic aortic aneurysms may be caused by different disease processes, especially in respect to their location.

Ascending thoracic aneurysm causes:

Cystic medial degeneration (necrosis) - Breaking down of the tissue of the aortic wall. This is the most common cause of this type of thoracic aortic aneurysm.

Genetic disorders which affect the connective tissue, such as Marfan syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome

Family history of thoracic aortic aneurysm with no incidence of Marfan syndrome

Atherosclerosis - Hardening of the arteries caused by a build-up of plaque in the inner lining of an artery. This is a rare cause of ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm.

Infection, syphilis (rare causes of thoracic aortic aneurysm)

Aortic arch thoracic aneurysm causes

Takayasu's arteritis - A type of vasculitis that causes inflammation of the arteries

Atherosclerosis

Continuation of an ascending and/or descending aortic aneurysm

Descending thoracic aortic aneurysm causes

Atherosclerosis is most often associated with descending thoracic aneurysms, and is thought to play an important role in aneurysmal disease, including the risk factors associated with atherosclerosis such as:

Age (greater than 55)

Male gender

Family history (first-degree relatives such as father or brother)

Genetic factors

Hyperlipidemia (elevated fats in the blood)

Hypertension (high blood pressure)

Smoking

Diabetes

• Posted

Good Afternoon Everyone, 

Just a quick update, so I have had my yearly follow appointment and there has been no change in size which I am happy about, which means it is not a fast growing bomb.  My blood pressure is higher than they would like so I am being started on Beta-Blockers to help bring this back down.  

I have also been advised that I will get another stress test to see how the beta-blockers perform, all going well, I will be able to return to being more active in sports and exercise.  The chance to go and play football again has given me a massive boost.  

I am still waiting on my genetic testing to confirm whether or not the aneurysm is genetic or not.  So I will update once I have had this done.  

Keep living in hope everyone and don't let this bring you down like it has for me the past year.  We have 1 shot at life, live it the best way possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.