Enlarged Uterus Even After Myomectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I’m about 3 mths post open myomectomy. My surgeon removed 21 fibroids, about 3 the size of tennis balls. I had a bikini cut incision.

I had a follow-up app’t today and the doctor (a different doctor than my original surgeon) said that my uterus was still the size of a 16 - 18 week pregnancy.

After surgery, I expected my uterus to shrink back down to a normal size.

Did anyone else experience this? How long did it take for your uterus to contract back down to a normal size? I still look like my uterus is full of fibroids.

Do I still need time to heal? And does anyone know of any holistic treatments to getting the uterus to return to normal size?

Meanwhile, I plan to start doing castor oil packs in my abdomen and hot yoga to see if that helps.

Thanks, folks!  smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Im 2 1/2 weeks post op abdominal myomectomy for 4   2cm sized fibroids plus 20 small ones. My lower belly shrank immediately post op. I was placed on premarin (estrogen) tablets 1.25mg daily to prevent uterine adhesion plus a foley balloon on my uterus up to one day post op. Im 33 and want to preserve fertility. 

Ive been noticing though in these past days that my lower abdomen is starting to protrude, feel tender/tight.  It even looks more proteuded than pre-op. Im having normal bowel and bladder movements. No pain and just light spotting. Im concerned the estrogen tablets are the ones causing my uterus to enlarge. sad

How long did it take for your uterus to go back down to normal size?

• Posted

Same here. Mine went down some after my surgery because the huge one was out but in a short time, my abdomen was larger. I was told that ny uterus was oversized. I've been hoping to actually look like the fibroid was gone but somehow I weigh even more than I did pre-op! I'm still going through appointments to figure out what's going on with me...because I'm still having basically the same issues I had before. Smh!

Now i think i have an incisional hernia. :-/

• Posted

My pelvic swelling and tigbhtness has resolved much after i had my period (?) back. I had a hormonal IUD placed at 6 weeks poat op and it made me spot to bleed moderately.  Must be my uterine lining shedding off frm a thick lining uterus caused by the estrogen pills. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.