ENT REFERRAL

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Just a quick question although I may have asked this some time ago.

If I ask my gp to refer me to ENT for a Throat scope (I think that is what it is called) Will I have to attend the ENT clinic first then get them to make the appointment for the scope or can my gp send me straight for the scope.  I think I have LPR and am worried about my voice amongst other things and would like to know one way or the other although I suffer from anxiety and am frightened of hospital and tests.  I am in Greater London.

Thanks.

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Libralady, I've done the same and have an ENT appt in2weeks. I don't know if London is different but up here in the North when I last had a similar appt he did the scope during the first meeting. It's a very quick and straight forward procedure not like an endoscopy.
    • Posted

Thank you both Julie and Elle for your replies.  I am seeing my GP tomorrow,  It will be NHS we are pensioners and can't really afford private.

It usually takes around amonth for any hospital appointment to come through.  It took me months to get an orthopaedic appoinment as they changed the hospital and sent me to the wrong clinic. My husband took 6 months messing about with appoinments just to get new hearing aids.

Thanks again for the information.

• Posted

I really hope you get a scope soon. I have been suffering from lpr for over two years. I just have constant phlegm in my throat and there is nothing the ppi can do 😒 i hope you get a speedy recovery. 😘😘😘😘😘
    • Posted

Hi Elle, have you had a formal diagnosis of LPR at the hospital? Although GP's haven't much knowledge of it I think hospital consultants now diagnose it don't they? Elle how do you treat your condition? Diet or natural remedies?
    • Posted

Sorry our messages keep crossing.  I too have the throat phlegm and ppi's did nothing except upset my IBS causing constipation and stomach cramps.

I have been off them for around 2 months.  As you have had LPR for 2 years what did the ent doctor suggest regarding diet etc.  I know from what I read here  that they seems to know next to nothing about this horrible condition.

• Posted

Hello Julie and libralady. 

I went to see a gastroenterologist and I explained my symptoms and he said it sounded like lpr. I also had a endoscopy where the camera goes into the tummy. They found nothing 😒

I had a camera in throat where the ent doctor said it was "inflamed" and indicative of lpr.

I have taken many ppi over the years and nothing had worked. I now "live" with it 😞. Sad because nothing seems to make it better. Stress does make it worse... So I try to relax. Better said than done. 

I hope you had better results than medicine. I do not get the burning sensation that other sufferers get but I just have a constant feeling of phlegm on the throat. The nhs doctor said there was "nothing" there. No phlegm. The whole thing makes me sad. 

• Posted

Hi Elle, this is all so new to me. Until recently I'd never heard of LPR. My gastro surgeon has never mentioned it either. I've experienced a coated tongue in the past which goes when I stop eating chocolate, dairy and take probiotics. I have a basic understanding because I'm a trained nurse but this is a tricky condition to sort out but I'm sure that people do get a handle on it.
  • Posted

Hello libralady

You have two options: go to your nhs gp and he can refer you to an ENT doctor and he will scope you. Depending - waiting time could be six week. Or you can call up a private ENT directly and get an appointment with him / her. Waiting time - probably a couple of days from calling. 

I had both an nhs scope and private scope. Both procedures are the same but with the private one the doctor took more time and explained everything whereas the nhs doctor was curt and rude. I nearly complained ... 

Love

Elle x

• Posted

I had my scope done on the NHS and the doctor told me  I had LPR, he couldn' wait to get me out of the door.  I wanted to ask him questions, but he just didn,t have time and I waited 8 weeks for my appointment.

• Posted

Exactly. It makes me sad when I hear this. We try to do what we can. Change diet, eat well, read and research - take vitimins etc. Do what we can and sometimes to no avail. And then we think we go and see an ENT and get some reassurance but it just leaves an even more disgusting taste in the mouth. 

The nhs saddens me sometimes. 

I am not rich but I did scrape the money ( well I just use  a bit of my wages) and lived frugally for a month and when I went to see the ent privately. She was vvv patient and answered all my questions. Although she could not fix me however she psychological have me reassurance that I was not going to die etc etc. 

What are your symptoms by the way ? 

Elle x

• Posted

My symptoms started 10 months ago with severe breathing problems and cough, it then progress to throat inflammation and now I have nasal drip and ear ache and also trouble swallowing.  Its just not ending. Took different ppi's to no avail, always eaten healthy and healthy weight, I excercise regularly and I still get struck with LPR.
    • Posted

Forgot to ask when I sent you the private reply.  When you saw the ENT privately you said she answered all your questions but could not fix you.

Can you tell me what she said did she offer any explanation why there was nothing that could be done or suggest anything you could do.  As said before I cannot and will not take any more PPI's because of the side effects. I am trying with diet and I think it was eating a small amount of chocolate over Christmas that put me back together with an awful cold urinary infection and the dreaded antibiotics.  I am just so sick of it all.

• Posted

Beg your pardon but if you are frightened of

Hospitals and test perhaps you should go and see a private ent. I went to one and it was not in a hospital setting so was less "traumatic". Sorry but I found the nhs way like a cold meat production line. But maybe because I am in greater London and my hospital was full to the brim. 😒

• Posted

May I ask what hospital you went to and how much you paid for a private procedure.  I have to have some dental work done soon so have been saving up for that as the dentist wants to do it privately.  If you would rather not say the name of the hospital you can send me a private message.  I did have to see an ENT doctor a few years back for another matter and I agree the doctor was very curt and said just have a sinus scan which I eventually did and it was normal.  He did not seem to have the time to answer my questions or listen to my symptoms.  I think this may have been the start of my current problems although I can't be sure.
    • Posted

To Elle and Julie who kindly replied to my postings a couple of months ago.  At long last I have an ENT app on 16th March, not expecting a lot  after hearing what others have said about ENT consultants being very curt etc.  On the good side my throat problems are very much better, singing voice is fine now so I have gone back to choir.  I am not really following a diet except for alkaline water and not as much of that as before.  My main problems are excess mucus first thing on wakingand after sneezing.  Usually lasts around 30mins.  I have had a l lot of other problems to contend with so maybe not thinking about it has helped.

Anyway will see what the ENT man/or woman has to say.  I think my sinuses are definitely involved though.  Hope you are both ok.

• Posted

Wow hello. I am so happy you are feeling so much better. I hope you will get better and stronger everyday. I do not know why you get a sore throat. Has this been all the time or only in the winter time? In the winter we have the Central heating on and this dries out the air and causes a slight sore throat in the mornings for me. I compensate this by placing a glass of water under the radiators. Could you try this ?

I heard sinus can be a sign of LPR. I too suffer from sinus problems. But I had sinus problems before LPR.

My LPR - I am afraid is still the same. Same mucus feeling in throat... I do not have burning after nearly 2 and a half years with this disease I have given up all medication lansaprazole, omerprazole and have accepted that I will have this for the rest of my life 😒 I am so happy to hear your positive news. It is very uplifting.

I am afraid in sept 2014 I had a viral infection which has turned into Post viral syndrome with fibromyalgia. And again I live with it. 😔 very happy to hear of your good news!

Elle x

• Posted

Hi Elle. It is lovely to hear from you. I am so sorry you have had no improvement with you LPR and problems following the virus. I am sure all these things are connected in some way. I admire your positive outlook, I try to stay positive but it not easy as I am in pain with arthritis as well it affects my knees which need replacing plus neck spine and hips. Won't bore you all that.

With regard to my throat I think it is a combination of usinginhalers for years and the long lasting virus I had in 2007. I had a sinus scan in 2008. The ENT man was not really interested in my symptoms and the scan was normal. I will try the glass of. water under the radiator as you suggest.

I will let you know how I get on at the hospital. In the meantime look after yourself. I hope you can find something to help with your fibromyalgia as I know this can be very hard for you.

Carolx. PS Having to use Kindle as laptop is playing up old like me not used to it for messaging.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.