ENT REFERRAL

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, quick question I desperately need to see an ENT consultant as my GP can no longer help me. I am speaking to them today just to see if they can do this however usual wait for an appointment is months also we are currently in the middle of a pandemic. I'm from the UK, I can't wait weeks. Just wondering if there is anything that will speed up the process??

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

*Ask if there are shorter waiting lists in other areas, if you can travel of course. Or if funds allow how much it would be to go private - I dare say if you can pay you can get seen sooner.

• Posted

Hey Melissa89247, It depends what kind of state the GP has left you in. Are you in pain or have any kind of ongoing infection? Will your condition worsen if it is not attended to? If you think it's intolerably painful or you're in danger then you can always call an Ambulance. Or if it is just a case that your curiosity/preferences need satisfying.....you could always go Private. Hope you feel better soon. X

• Posted

AN AMBULANCE IS A NO GO. MY DAUGHTER WAS CRIPPLED IN AGONY WITH STOMACHE PAINS AND COULDNT MOVE. THE Y TOLD ME ID HAVE TO DRIVE TO NEAREST EMERGENCY CARE UNIT. ITS A GOOD JOB I CAN DRIVE BUT IT TOOK ME 20 MINS TO GET THERE. LUCKILY SHE WAS OK.

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments. Still waiting for a GP to ring back. I believe it's an ear infection that has gone on for a while I now have limited hearing. I'm terrified this will be permanent. I am willing to go private but I've had a few replies saying they aren't seeing anyone at the moment.

• Posted

I've been told they will find out today so probably good to call next week

• Posted

YOU COULD GO PRIVATE BUT THEY WILL BE FOLLOWING THE SAME GUIDE LINES AS EVERYONE ELSE. ITS FRUSTRATING I KNOW AS IVE HAD AT LEAST 7 CANCELLED SINCE LAST MARCH WITH MY ENT. IM ALREADY REFERED, WILL BE FOR THE REST IF MY LIFE DUE TO MY CHOLESTEATOMA AND OTHER PROBLEMS. I HAD TO HAVE MY EARS CLEANED OUT PRIVATELY, WHICH OPENED BACK UP A FEW WEEKS AGO. IVE BEEN THERE TWICE BEFORE BECAUSE OF CANCELLED APPTS. MY EARS N EED CLEANING AT LEAST EVERY 3 OR 4 MONTHS AS THE WAX PUSHES ITS WAY OUT AND IS HORRENDOUS. ITS A WAITING GAME HUN IM AFRAID, KEEP HANGING IN THERE!

• Edited

If it is a medical emergency, then A&E or 999 is the route. Or, 111 - it's not just for covid-19.

Private will cost you between £100 and £250, depending where you are in the UK.

What's the problem?

• Posted

Hi allenuk, long story short. I started 4 weeks ago with what I can only describe as sinus pains, given nasal spray/antibiotics etc. My ears were very red inside and I started to lose pretty much all my hearing in my left ear. Then 10 days ago will various trips to the GP for for antibiotics I started losing hearing in my right. I can barely hear now. it's awful. They took a swab from my left ear as it started leaking 3 days ago. I just feel I'm getting no where, they can't see my ear drum when they look in due to the canal being so inflamed. I'm terrified I will be left with permanent hearing loss.

• Posted

Awful. I had a similar experience which was diagnosed as otitis externa - it was treated in hospital with intravenous antibiotics (the consultant called it 'domestos' ) The disease blocked my ear to the point of total hearing loss. If it is OE, you're certainly very unfortunate to get it in both ears. I think you might have to face a trip to A&E, but try 111 first. If they think it's OE or similar, they might send an ambulance.

I feel for you.

Allen

• Posted

That sounds awful Allen, sorry you had to go through that. I've just had my telephone app with the GP the swab they took from my left ear that was leaking which I can hardly hear out of came back fine. There is nothing growing no nasty stuff. I was put on different antibiotics a week ago and this is what's helped as there is no infection. He said unfortunately its fluid and given me another week of antibiotics. Did your hearing come back? that's what I'm scared about. Doctor said I've got nothing to worry about my hearing will be the last thing to come back.

• Edited

Strange, I had a swab taken with problems similar to yours, came back with no bacterial infection (which is what antibiotics treat) but fungal. Dr gave me canestan which was very difficult to get in my ear and seem to make it worse if anything. I used to wear hearing aids which perhaps caused the problems to start with and I did originally have an infection which antibiotics cleared, I thought, but then problems returned with weeping and it was deemed to be fungal. However ear stopped weeping and although it still is not right it does not hurt.

• Posted

Yes, the bad ear is about 95% back. The other ear was unaffected.

Can you afford a private consultation? It would ge the quickest way to get a proper answer.

Allen

• Edited

Oh at least majority came back. Ye I've contacted two private hospitals near by and both said they aren't taking any patients on. I'm going to see how I get on with these antibiotics, I definitely feel brighter than I have in recent days just the fullness in the ears/hearing loss that's frustrating.

• Posted

Thought I'd pass on an update. My symptoms got worse. GP was adamant its fluid behind the ear drum itll come back. I was really poorly at this point, not sleeping, pain in my head. Then this morning I woke up and couldn't move the left side of my face. So I am currently on the ENT ward having IV antibiotics but unfortunately due to the result of the infection I now have bells palsy. Trying to stay positive, see what next couple of days brings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.