Entering month 3 none the wiser - Does this look like MS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Posting here out of frustration. I'm feeling a million miles from myself. I really have gone downhill since early April, but even in the couple of months before, I was fatigued. ON my first visit to family doctor was given an antibiotic - didnt work. Went to ENT - she said maybe viral (didnt have all the symptoms as below) and gave me steriods - made even less different.

Symptoms below as well as some results of tests I've done so far.

*Fatigue

*Voice change - hoarseness. Cant sing like I used to. Generally tone has changed in the last 2 months.

*Lump in the back of my throat - cant seem to clear - worse in the morning

*Swallow issues (always need two swallows and need to cough more often than not when eating & drinking)

*Feeling in tongue (around the edges like my tongue is burnt) - sometimes feel tongue is vibrating (like rest of body described below)

*Effort to chew. Often feel jaw 'locking' or stiffening

*In my head at least, I feel like my speech is different. Not slurred speech, but rather my fluency is not what is used to be. I've also noticed 'bubbles' developing at the side of my mouth when I speak.

*Breathing issues - though not constant

*Cramp in right leg - behind knee but also above and below to that point that I feel like tendon is torn or the muscle pulled [week 4 of this - very annoying and uncomfortable feeling]

*Muscle bubbling or popping - widespread - but especially in right leg. Sometimes in the chin, left leg, ankles, right hand, buttocks.

*I can see my clothes shake - as if caused by a pulsation or vibration.

*When i cross my feet - the leg in the air will continue to bounce up and down, like to a beat

*Feeling of tightness/cramp in muscles at night time - like they freeze suddenly and then let go (not constant - but seems to be worse as im just about to fall asleep)

*Feeling of 'cold' or 'naked' fingers - especially in the morning. Need to warm them up to get them working. Fingers look skiner- could be in my head. Typing and holding my phone more awkward that before. Also notice that my grip when writing is weaker.

*Weight loss

*No appetite or interest in food (not even chocolate) (not sure if this is related to the discomfort of eating with my swallow the way it is)

*Headaches (dull ache back of head) and intermittent ear aches [These were really bad in April - but I havent gotten a bad headache in a few weeks now]

Chest x-ray and EKG: Clear

MRI of Brain

"focal linear susceptibility seen within the left frontal lobe extending from the anterior horn of the left lateral ventricle to the frontal cortex. There is no corresponding signal abnormality seen on the T1-T2 or FLAIR sequence. No abnormal restricted diffusion is seen. This finding is most likely related to artifact... There are inflammatory changes mastoid air cells bilaterally. Retention cyst seen in the right maxillary sinus with bilateral ethmoid air cell maxillary sinus mucosal thickening. The visualized soft tissues and osseous structures appear normal."

MRI of Lumbar Spine

"Transitional vertebral segment and counting from the last rib designate mild sacralization of the L5 segment. If intervention is contemplated correlation with plain film imaging is recommended for accurate level localization.

Broad-based disc protrusion L4-5 level seen central and mildly eccentric to the left with narrowing of the proximal neural foramina bilaterally and the ventrolateral canal. Mild encroachment on the L5 nerve roots within the ventrolateral canal is seen. Mild facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy also seen at this level.

Mild degenerative changes seen remaining lumbar levels"

Been to the ENT re swallow and voice issues.

After the vocal chords test (where they take pictures with a camera) - "Dysphonia - Edema of the vocal chords" - she couldnt tell what could cause it given i dont use my voice excessibely for work etc.

Had a swallow test - but dont get the result until June 3rd.

Also had an EMG of right leg - no results until later in June.

So - some of my symptoms seem to line up with MS. Some lead me to think ALS (which is obviously terrifying). Does anyone have any feedback with respect to what they may think is up?

I am a female in my early 30's. I have a cousin (fathers, sister's daughter) who was diagnosied with MS about two years ago at the age of 27. Her first symptom was vison loss. Family history of bowel issues. Grandfather died of Lung Cancer (was a smoker), aunt had non-hodgkins lymphoma but recovered. Not sure how useful any of this is.

If anyone has the time, i'd love to hear your thoughts.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Try not to think to much into your mri result do you have a neuroligist

If so try and get hold off him for his opinion on the results if not

Get your gp to refer you what's your gp thoughts on results

But most of all try not to stress and take it easy.

George

• Posted

Thank you, George.

I have a follow up the neurologist to discuss results, but thats not for another couple of weeks.

My next GP appointment is not until after that again.

My speech issues are getting worse every day. I fear I'm barking up with wrong tree with MS, as I'm not sure it causes these speech problems. I keep falling over my words or struggling to get the word out. Its so scary.

The waiting doesnt make it any easier. Trying to busy myself as much as I can - but at the same time have so little energy to do anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.