Entivio for Crohn's Colitis, how well does it work?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have either Crohn's Disease or UC. I was originally diagnosed with UC, but as time has gone, things have changed. I now have issues with absorption. I am low on Vitamin D, B12, Protein and Potassium. I have been losing weight fairly quickly. I went down three pants sizes in two months and dropped 25 to 30 LBS in the same time. I have been on 10MG of Prednisone now for 10 years and it has mostly kept the disease at bay, but no longer. I have tried many others and Prednisone was the only one that worked well. I really only have Methotrexate and Biologics left. Remicade and Humera scare me as they suppress the immune system systemically. I would only use one of them as a last resort medication. There are two newer ones that only act on the digestive system, leaving the immune system mostly functional every where else. One is Stellara and it is so expensive that I doubt my insurance will approve it without me trying the other two cheaper options first. That leaves me Entivio. It seems to be priced close to the other biologics and I am considering this one. I was wondering if anyone who has or is taking it can tell me how well it worked for you and how long did it take to work. Also, what kind of costs did you incure with it. Also, did you have any bad side effects from it? I need some info, so I can make up my mind if I am going to give it a try or just stay on a Steroid all my life. I really wish they would develope a cure, instead of a bandaid approach. I know that there are new medicines that will soon be released, so I am trying to decide if I should hold out for one of the newer meds. One of them doesn't impair the immune system at all and the FDA is now studying it to figure out the best theraputic dose. Once that is figured out it will be available, but for how much money? It seems like even though some of these meds are cheap to make, they still charge a lot due to the fact that they are in a special capsule or foam. They just keep finding ways to make even cheap medicines expensive. At least here in the USA, we get reamed on cost for our medications. Shame on the Pharmasutical companies taking advantage of the sick. I hope they can sleep at night.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Craig, i have crohn since i was 17, i am now 39. I have been on Humira for 6 years, if i were you i would try the entivio, or humira, i don't take any other medication and have no side effect with it.

Annie

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I am really interested in Entivio, because it only blocks the white blood cells from getting to your digestive track. It doesn't reduce immune function systemically like Humera does, so you are less likely to get a serious infection. There is also stellara, that doesn't seem to reduce immune response systemically, but Stellara is so expensive that most can't afford it. I really am trying to stay on Prednisone as it works well for me and I have really no side effects from it. My doctor doesn't want me on it any more eventhough there was a recent study done on the effective use of steroids in Crohn's patients and it showed that what doctors have been preaching about it being no good for long term use was wrong. It does work really well for long term and it promotes remission. I am proof that it works eventhough my doctor doesn't believe it. She thinks I can stop it and I will be fine with no medication and that is so wrong. I have tried so many times and each time I had a flare, so my last doctor kept me on it. Well, he retired and now I have a demon for a doctor, so I may soon jump ship. I wish you the best and hope that you stay in remission. It is an awful disease and I am slowly going down hill again. I hope that my doctor will help me before I end up in the hospital.

• Posted

Im not in remission anymore, i just learned that i need another resection for large bowel! I have to watch what i eat because i could have a blockage... you are right it is a difficult disease, lots of time people don't really understand the disease. I try to stay positive!

Annie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.