EP Study/Ablation waiting list

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with WPW Syndrome two months ago following an ECG, wearing a heart monitor etc.

My Cardiology consultant has put me on his waiting list for an EP Study to cauterize what he believes to be an extra pathway. I was just wondering how long people have had to wait to have this procedure? I found out today it could be as long as 52 weeks?! I am in the UK.

Thank you in advance for sharing! smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HELlo. I was told the same but my symptoms continued to increase in frequency so I went back to the cardiologist asking if it was ok. He tried calling the ward to ask about a cancellation waiting list and I was lucky to be told there was an opening the next day. So got it all done. 
  • Posted

Hello,

I am sorry that you have to be on such a long wait list! We live in the U.S. and my daughter was diagnosed on Nov. 1st with WPW. She seen her pediatric cardiologist on Nov. 15th. Her EP study/ablation was scheduled for Dec.4th but she got sick with the flu over the weekend so it has been moved to Dec. 27th. Most of the EP studies/ablations for WPW are completed within 2 weeks after the initial cardiology appointment at least for a pediatric patient. I am not sure for an adult patient in the U.S. I have a friend who works in the cardiology department in our local hospital who was diagnosed at age 20 and had her EP study/ablation completed within 3 weeks of diagnosis.

I hope the best for you and that you can be moved up quickly (due to cancellations or other circumstances!) Prayers for you in your challenges with WPW smile 

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed in March 2010 at Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey. I had my ablation at St George’s Tooting in the December. I believe I was added to the list around August. Be prepared for the procedure. You are given a sedative and morphine. My sedative wore off as did the morphine. They had to use cryothermal ablation because the radio frequency ablation kept failing. I was in theatre for 5 hours and as I wasn’t given more morphineor sedatives it was very painful. Having said this I no longer faint although I do get palpitations at times, just be prepared and demand more drugs if needs be! My surgery also meant that I gave birth to my son almost exactly 12 months later so I am so glad I had it. Also be prepared to not be able to move the next day, you need sleep!! Good luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.