Epididimectomy and vasectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a vasectomy 20 years ago...had pain which nobody seemed to know how or why. So I had a 2nd vasectomy, which made absolutely no difference.

Then the head surgeon etc came in and said I needed an epididimectomy to sort out inflammation etc. 

I had this procedure done. It was better, fairly liveable, and I told them this ie not gone but better enough and I was scared of having any more meddling done in case it ended up being worse.

I've lived with this minor discomfort all this time. The main problem is I have sometimes can't sleep on my right side and I just had to wear comfortable trousers, not tight but reasonably enough to look OK and feel OK. I've lived with it.

Lately though, it seems to be slightly worse again, and hurting a bit more. I don't know what is best to do. I'm scared stiff of it being worse after all the horror stories. 

Having the snip was without doubt the worst decision I have ever made in my life. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

5 years since mine and had the epididymectomy on the left only. Still get pain in both and left is worse.

I was booked in for denervation over two operations, one at a time but I've given up. Can't get rid of the pain and just live with it. The damage done has meant I'm on testosterone replacement and even with that I'm still 3/4 of a normal level. Biggest mistake of my life and have the pain to look forward to and meds for the rest of my life.

Don't do it anyone reading this.

• Posted

So what if anything is the cure for an epididimectomy that still gives pain or discomfort ? 

I feel quite bitter tbh at the lack of info that was provided. My GP.just saidbhe had also had it and would refer my request. Nobody explained about anything that could go wrong and there was no internet like now whete its the natural thing to.get information. If i had known there was the slightest chance of an outcome like this i probably wouldnt have done it as my ex wife put no pressure on me and it was my own idea after listening to workmates who had had it done. 

• Posted

That about sums it up. 

I was told about the risk, but it was down played ..less than 1% etc. Etc.

i too was left in pain, and the operations above were suggested over a period of about 2 years while they tried to sort it out.  I think they were just hoping it would settle down and they would not need to do anything TBH.

i did not sign up for this and before I was prepared to have more cut away, I went for a private reversal.  This has worked to a large degree in my case but again there is no guarantee AND I was warned that the pain could come back at any time

I no no longer trust the medical profession and will have to be in either extreme pain or have a  life threatening problem before I will go near them again. 

As as a result of how they treated me I no longer give blood, something I had given for over 20 years, and have been removed from the donor list.

i know this does not help you, but hopefully some poor 'mug' will actually read this site before they go through what we have.

• Posted

Sorry there is no cure. I've been offered reversal on the MGS on the right hand side, but the left is more painfil and can't be reversed due to the plumbing now gone.

Denervation was offered but that can leave you numb in the groin. I've given up on a cure.

I had a major injury a couple of years ago and the surgeon gave me the choice of having my spine pinned or leaving it be with a long recovery. He saw my notes and said operations can go wrong (referring to the snip). I chose the long recovery with no metalwork.

I've even asked for my nuts to be removed but my consultant won't do it as pain can remain due to the damaged nerves. Pain is worse for me at night and in the morning.

• Posted

Yeh. Agree with worst decision of my life. 
  • Posted

Could it come testicle removal in the end and what are the chances of this ending the pain and discomfory

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.