Epididymis cyst pain despite doctors saying I'm fine...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

So back in May 2017, I had to undergo an operation due to an epididymis cyst that was found on my right testicle. I was in chronic pain before the operation making daily routines a real challenge.

The operation proved to be effective at first, with the pain reduced significantly and being able to function again. However, a few months later, I then started to feel the pain again on my right testicle. I immediately went to the doctors and was told that this was normal and that it would take a significant time to return to consistent normality again. As this was new to me, I trusted the doctor and gave it some time.

Fast forward to today and the pain is still there. It doesn't happen everyday with some days manageable, but it hasn't gone away. Get really frustrated that doctors tell me nothing is wrong when there clearly is a problem. Another frustrating bit of advice is being told to take ibuprofen/paracetamol or prescribed drugs such as Naproxen. I was constantly taking these nearly everyday for about 2 months and decided to stop as they had no effect.

I'm very concerned as this is effecting me mentally. I lost my job because I couldn't function in the same way due to the distraction of the pain that interrupted my work. I can't play any sport either now and the problem has even had some impact with my partner as I try to avoid any sexual activity with fear I could get worse.

Can anybody advise with my problem from experience and if there's anything that could be done? I'm tempted to get a loan just for private medical care, but again I worry whether I would need a significant amount of money for something that could have little effect. This has really got me feeling down and being a real hinderence in my life.

Many thanks,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello -.  I have had the same problem for a long time. It is very important that you go to a urologist who specializes in scrotal pain. I wasted a lot of time with a general urologist who said it was all in my head.  But then I found a urologist who specializes in scrotal or testicular pain and he was a great help.

He diagnosed my testicular (epididymal) cyst right away. He said I should take NSAIDs for the pain like you did and it did help for a while.

But then he did what is called a scrotal nerve block. It was just a simple injection of a nerve block agent into the scrotum and that worked wonders. He said the benefits work for up to 3 months and then wear off and he has to do it again. But for me it has been lasting. So please look into that. Good luck. Howard

• Posted

Hi Howard,

Thank you so much for your reply. You don't understand how much of a relief it is to find somebody with a problem just like me. As you can imagine, it's not exactly the kind of conversation you want to bring up in public...

If you mind me asking, but with the nerve block is that something you have to pay for and is it painful? Plus once the three months runs by, do you simply go back for another round of nerve block?

I've already made contact with a private urologist in my local area. Ironically, one of their doctors they have happens to be the guy that oversaw my operation and told me to take ibuprofen and wear tighter pants... whether that's because it's NHS or because he really can't help is something he may only know, but thought going private may be my only chance with further options.

I also forgot to ask, but how long have you had this problem for? I did actually look into seeing if having my right testicle removed would solve the problem, but apparently that doesn't make any difference as this can then pass problems to the other testicle... I would consider the nerve block though if this has proved wonders. Just a bit of a shame to think it's still something you need long term. I read as well that some people do actually fully recover but considered very rare.

Many thanks,

• Posted

Hi - you are welcomed. You might want to look up scrotal nerve block as there is a lot of information on it on the web. It is a very easy procedure - just a quick needle that is guided by ultrasound and you get instant relief! No discomfort and it takes about 15 min. Mine was 6 months ago and I haven't needed another one. I live in Canada and it was all covered by insurance.

My doctor said that if that did not work the next step was to remove the epididimys surgically and if that didn't work then to remove the testicle which he said is no big deal as they put in a fake ball and you only need one good for children.

It is important to wear tight briefs when you will be doing physical activity like squash. This keeps the cyst from being banged around. I just wear a jog strap. And before sex I just take 2 strong nsaid pills and that keeps the problem away.

I got mine from a failed varicocele embolization procedure which I probably did not need in the first place. That was almost a year ago. After that the cyst developed over a month and has been the worse thing ever. I would lie in bed for days unable to move living on codein pills. So definitely look into the scrotal nerve block. Anyway if I need to get them from time to time it is no big deal compared to thepain and it is covered by our public healthcare. Good luck. Howard

• Posted

Hi Howard,

That's so useful and interesting to know. Nerve block definetly sounds like something I'll need to enquire at the doctors. I was given more Naproxen about a month ago, which worked well for a short term fix, but hopefully nerve block is something I'll get under NHS. If not, then will just go private.

I did actually ask the doctors about having the cyst cut off. Apparently that can cause more harm as it can create exposure to potential infection. I then asked about having the testicle removed but can't do that unless its life threatening or something along those lines. Again, only through private care they can give you that option for a price!

So hard to get even professional advice as one doctor will say one thing and you'll hear another view elsewhere. I did actually wear tight pants before, but then stopped because I found them uncomfortable and felt a relief to wear loose clothing, which helped for a short period. I may revert to this now to prevent further movement.

I want to try and do some form of exercise if I can. Even if it meant just walking around the park or something. I have a job that is essentially sitting by a desk so being stuck all day in one place I feel may not help. I've even given up alcohol too, although after a few months this hasn't made any difference. Probably better off drinking to ignore the pain at this rate!! 

In all seriousness, I'll be going to see my doctor Monday and bring up nerve block! 

Many thanks once again!

James

• Posted

Hi James,

Glad to be of help. Don't forget to look into getting a comfortable jog strap - I just wear the one I wear when I paly squash. Medical supply stores also carry them.

And don't forget to ask about getting the epididymis removed which is less traumatic then getting the testicle removed.

There are also oral nerve block drugs like Lyrica and others that can also help the pain but those drugs have bad side effects.

Also I forgot to mention that when I get a bad flare up I put an ice pack on the testicle and lie down for a while and that helps too.

Keep in touch. It is a bad problem to have.

Howard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.