Epidural and sedation for hip op

Posted , 21 users are following.

I had my pre op today and j was a little surprised to hear that they suggested i have an epidural and sedation instead of a general. i didnt even realise this could be an

option. I dont have any health issues so not sure about this at all?

Any thoughts?

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had a THR 4 weeks ago today with what you've been proposed. It was fine. No side effects. Woke up very alert. My surgery was around 3 PM, and I was in the hospital 2 nights and went straight home.

• Posted

I had a spinal block and sedation so I would sleep trough it. It's sure easier to come out of it in the recovery room. You don't have to be tubed either. I had no medical issues either.

• Posted

I too had this when I had my surgery in Feb 2018 in Florida. O was told there are fewer risks for patients than with general anesthesia. When I was in the prep area before going into the operating room they gave me something in the IV because i told them how nervous i was and thats all I remember. My surgery was at 7:30am and at 11:am I was back in my room, feeling ok and got up to wall the hall with the Physical therapist and a walker. A little woozy and stiff but not much pain at all and I went home in 2 days. There is some longer lasting injection in the hip that they gave me that kept me pretty comfortable until the oral pain meds. kicked in.

So forward and just let them know you are nervous. I'm sure they have stuff for that. The doctor does not want the patient squirming around the table and they like the patient to be comfortable and calm. Better attitude and healing. Good luck and let us know your experience.

• Posted

hi I had my OP in Oct 2017 I chose spinal and sedation as I dont like being sick and spinal doesn't have that effect.

bit very comfortable having the spinal but I woke up feeling like I'd just had a nap 😴 and no tube down my throat. I'll opt for this again when I have the other side done later this year.

good luck x

• Posted

Hi I am on 'urgent' list for THR and am seriously thinking about Epidural, if you opt for sedation as well can they give you more if needed during op? so nervous, only just found out 4 weeks ago I need this doing . Glad to hear yours and everyone else on this forum have had such good results, very encouraaging. 😃

• Posted

hi . I had epidural + sedation almost 5 weeks ago. it was great in my opinion. I did wake abt 3 x but each time the anaethetist checked I was ok and next thing I'd drifted off again. I dont know if he stopped me up or not but they certainly can do it. I just sd to the anaethetist beforehand that I wanted to sleep thro it all which I did but was awake when theyd done and wheeling me out of theatre. try not to worry abt the epidural etc it is better so you can be up the same day. I came out of theatre at 3 and took my first 4 side steps at 5. was fine.

the other thing depends where you are uk or elsewhere but I was on the urgent list since Jan and had my OP mid may. gave me time to sort my house out - put things at hand height and get bits I knew I'd need. but anyway good luck for me this OP has been life changing already I've just been out for my 2nd walk of the day - ok short - but id not been able to do that for abt 2 yrs: )

• Posted

I am really won over with the spinal. I did not have sedation as I wanted to know what was going on!!

• Posted

I think its brill, i'm going spinal but not brave enough not to have sedation, although never say never lol

• Posted

its been very encouraging reading the positive comments, however, i will take as much sedation as they can give me! might even get myself some ear defenders to block out the op noise just in case lol

• Posted

I told the surgeon that I didn't want to hear it all going on, and he laughed and said, "I don't blame you!" The next thing I was aware of was him saying that it had all gone really well. I was having lunch an hour later.

I really recommend spinal with sedation if you're not not super brave!

• Posted

That's the way to go! I thought I was having an epidural the first time around, but they ended up giving me a general. I could not wake up from it and slept the rest of the day. And they told me I had heart fibrillation during surgery and they called in a heart doctor. I found out later that the surgeon preferred general anesthesia so that the patient would be totally relaxed for the anterior method of surgery. When I had my second hip replacement I made sure that the surgeon agreed to an epidural and my recovery was much smoother.

• Posted

**I had a spinal but decided I did not want the sedation so I could know what was going on! I had to have another op three weeks later for something totally different and they had written general anaesthetic on the form. I asked if I could have a spinal and they said fine. I would not have known about it if I had not had it for my hip. It is so much better than a general. For the second op I was wheeled down the corridor on the gurney with a cup of tea in one hand and a sandwich in the other, while everyone else on trolleys was looking washed out. **

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.