Epidural and sedation for hip op

Posted , 21 users are following.

I had my pre op today and j was a little surprised to hear that they suggested i have an epidural and sedation instead of a general. i didnt even realise this could be an

option. I dont have any health issues so not sure about this at all?

Any thoughts?

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my THR just 4 days ago with an epidural. It was brilliant! I was in the OR chatting away, nodded off* and awoke 45 minutes later to see an xray of my shiny new hip staring me in the face. "There it is! We're all done." I was part of a day surgery test (home within 12 hours) but wound up having to stay one night in hospital because of pain and faintness. I didn't have any prior health issues. Now my pain is fairly minimal, mostly discomfort, and I'm at home recovering. *As to nodding off, they did slip a little something into my IV otherwise I likely would have talked their ears off. If you can avoid a general is it REALLY worth it.

• Posted

Just want to echo what the others have said here. I was also surprised when told I would not have general anaesthesia, but the operation went as if I did. I told the anaesthetist in the pre-surgery meeting that the whole thing made me nervous and she assured me that if I didn't want to be aware of anything I wouldn't be. And I wasn't! It was as if I had been knocked out. The reason the spinal block works better than general is that it takes so many hours for the effect to wear off, so the recovery pain is much more manageable. You will be fine! Good luck!

• Posted

hi thankyou i hope so! not long now to go and dreading the whole thing !

• Posted

Hang on in there Heather! I was dreading it too, but I was lucky, the whole thing was much better than I was expecting. Hope that it's the same for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.