Epidural for bulging discs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, a little update...

I have just seen my consultant for my MRI results. I have a bulging disc at L5 S1, she has asked if I’d like an epidural (I said yes)

In the meantime while I’m waiting to have it done I have been prescribed gabapentin.. has anyone had the same as me diagnosed and can young tell me a prognosis. I know everyone is different it just wondering what to expect from the epidural and gabapentin ?

Thanks 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a bulging disc on my L5-S1 and was on gabapentin for 4 months and went up to 2700mg and it didn’t help at all. I had an epidural and it helped me to be able to sit and walk better right after but it didn’t help much after that. My sister took gabapentin and it helped her but for me, Lyrica helped the most. I would suggest physio exercises. I also tried acupuncture and IMS. My bulging disc finally started to get better after 10 months and it’s been 14 months and I’m not 100% but doing much better. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I have had physio but my consultant told me to stop as it was making me worse, acupuncture didn’t work either,I’ve been off work since November, were you able to work whilst taking Gabapentin? Did it give you much relief x
    • Posted

I’m lucky I could work as I work from home while laying down as I couldn’t sit or stand.   I tried 3 different medications but only one helped and I take turmeric daily to help reduce the inflammation. I still do PT exercises to strengthen my core. Planking, pelvic lifts, and others daily. 
  • Posted

I have recently been diagnosed with sciatica and am awaiting my mri. My Dr. already put me on Gabapentin. At first I didn’t think it was doing anything but the tingling in my toes started to lessen. The dr. explained it as Gabapentin sort of works in the background. 

And if she suddenly took me off of it I would realize how well it is working. It works slowly and steadily. 

• Posted

I have been using gabapentine for about a month for nerve pain. It has been very helpful. My pain is almost gone,
  • Posted

Hi, I also had a disc bulge at L5 S1, and was told I would most likely need an operation as it was a very large bulge. I'd had really bad sciatica for at least 2 years, the only pain relief I used was Co dydramol tablets which really helped. I Was also offered an injection which I really didn't want after Id tried physio which was also making me worse. So when I got my injection date for 2 weeks later I got on YouTube to try and find any exercises that would help and came across a really good video. I will send it to you in your messages. I only done the one where you stand up and gently arch backwards (standing lumbar extension) and the leaning over to the side one to the opposite side of my pain exercise and within 2 weeks I was hardly using any pain killers. I just kept doing these a couple of times throughout the day. I went to my injection appointment still and they agreed that I didn't need the injection. I have now been pretty much pain free since about August last year. Still have numbness in my leg and foot from where my nerves were damaged before but can live with that. Anyway I had another MRI around December I think and the doctor said he can't believe such a large disc bulge has healed so much in such a short time and to just carry on what I'm doing. I also don't lift anything heavy or do anything silly that might knock it back out. So just wanted to let you know that there are positive stories and that stretching and exercise can help, you just need to find the right ones for you. 

• Posted

Thank you, it’s great to hear a positive story for once smile
  • Posted

I recently started experiencing sciatica.  18 years ago I had surgery for L3-S1 disc problems.  Had great success with surgery.  Around Christmas I had a sore lower back and then it progressed to a burning pain down the back of my left leg.  Within 4 weeks I could hardly move from pain.  Doctor prescribed pain meds anti inflammatory drugs and gabapentin.  I didn’t think the gabapentin was working, but by about day 7 of taking the gabapentin I noticed that the pain has lessened and I was able to stand and sit.  I am waiting an MRI to see what is going on in my back, but I am very grateful for gabapentin.  I sure hope it works for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.