Epidural shot for lower back pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does an epidural or cortisone shot help with lower back pain? I've had chronic lower back pain for at least 10 years and about 3 months ago I fell off a ladder about 7 to 8 feet off the ground and hurt my back. I was in a lot of pain over these last 3 months. It is only now about a week where I am starting to feel somewhat better. But I am scheduled to have a shot in my back next week and was wondering if I should cancel, only because I am just starting to get a little better. Any thoughts or suggestions?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you have been prescribed the shot then of course it is expected to help you.  Otherwise it wouldn't have been prescribed would it?

I would ask your doctor about the shot before you have it.  We can't give medical advice on here like that.  x

• Posted

I would let the Doctor know you are better and see what he say's.

• Posted

I have been getting epidural shots as often as I can for the last couple of yrs, I get at least 35 to 40 days of relief, then it starts to gradually return.  Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles helps along with the injections.   
    • Posted

Thanks barry5353 for replying and the others. I think I will talk to my doctor about it. While I was waiting for this appointment I had acupuncture and I think it gave me some relief. I think I will now try physical therapy to strengthen muscles. I couldn't a month ago cause I was in too much pain.

• Posted

I've been suffering from lower back pain for 13 years and I've had oodles of injections in my back and SI joints. I've also had every degree of relief from complete relief of pain to no relief of pain. There is a degree of danger getting these injections. And the medication that they inject is not labeled for this type of procedure. But the fact that it's not should not be your only reason for not doing it. Doctors use all kinds of medication for reasons that are not on the label. So definitely talk with your doctor about it. I'm sure he/she can tell you the best thing for you to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.