Epidural steroid injection after pain - help!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

Looking for some help and reassurance if anyone has had a similar experience. I’m 36 and been suffering with back pain for about 8 months, had various scans and all they could tell me was a slight disc bulge at l5 s1. 

The pain was very annoying so doctor said I could have epidural steroid injection which was low risk. I had it one week ago and my pain has increased 1000 times since then, been in bed ever since lower back pain much worse and pain down my legs that I didn’t have before.

So down and depressed that I have made things much worse by getting this. I was hoping after a few days it would settle as I did read it could get worse for a day or two, but it’s been a full week now and in agony worried it’s permanent and painkillers not helping at all. 

Quite distressed just a wondering if anyone had a similar experience but it settled down after that? Thanks so much for anyone taking the time to read this and write to support. 

Craig 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

craig Can you elevate your legs onto a chair or sofa , lie on the floor then elevate each leg slowly to seprate the verterbrae and take the pressure off the spinal cord/sciatic nerve, my physio taught me to do this. It is similar to traction. Please get examined as well.

Have u got any pain killers or diazepam to relax the muscle spasm? Magnesium is good for this too but careful using it if you have kidney disease. ice packs, TENS machine, try gentle exercise such as standing up and adopting the laughing policeman stance . This will help to maintain the alignment of your spine and strengthen the core muscles at the same time. Do exercises VERY gently and VERY slowly.

The S1 problem is painful but caudae equine is an emergency abnd needs urgent examination.

THE MECHANISM OF PAIN .

When in spinal pain certain chemicals are released and gather around the painful area causing a chemical irritation and pain. Increasing the blood flow to flush away these chemicals can be achieved using the TENS machine. This can be left in situ for several hours even overnight my physio said. 

It needs to be used reguklarly. The poain should ease albeit it seems to drag on forever.  

• Posted

Thanks guys for the info and advice. 

I visited a and e a few days after and they did a rectal exam and also had mri no one has said anything like caudae I know that’s a serious one. 

Yes trying to do some gentle exercises and just trusting God with healing for us all. Thanks for your concern and info has been useful and informative. 

Craig 

• Posted

Hello Craig

I hope you get to see my message. Did you recover from your symptoms? I ask because my situation is just like yours (I googled it and your post came up).

I had sharp shooting/stabbing pain on lower back/buttocks. After I had a caudal epidural, about 10 days later I started having a horrific burning pain down my legs and feet. This was 9 months ago and I still have same burning symptoms.

Did you recover? Did you find out how your symptoms changes from lower back pain to the burning down legs and feet?

I am so incredibly depressed and in pain for 11.5 months and I too wonder if the injection caused this, and if not, how did the injection changed the pattern and location of the initial lower back/stabbing pain to burning down legs/feet?

I would really appreciate your response and of anyone who has experienced similar situation i.e. burning pain down legs and feet after caudal epidural?

Thank you very much

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.