epidural steroid injection (ESI)

Posted , 4 users are following.

What has been your experience with epidural steroid injection (ESI) for spinal stenosis?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not good at all! I had way too many as soon as the lidocaine wore off I was in pain again. Plus it is risky must be done under a X-ray so they make sure it doesn't go in the wrong place. I wish I never had the first surgery, I worked a job that required long hours on a computer often no breaks. I know that is what caused my spine to deteriorate. No job is worth your health! 

• Posted

Hi

I got 3 months relief from epidural in neck but it's only temporary. I'm awaiting a nerve block c6/7 but seeing surgeon next month as nothing is helping my pain at all

• Posted

Hi,

May I ask you both what medications you have taken that are not helping with the pain.

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike

When I say ' nothing ' is helping my pain I chose the wrong word as what I should have said is ' it doesn't take pain away fully'.

I'm on:-

Nortryptoline

Gabapentin

Meptid( an opiate)

Morphine tablets

Oramorph

And a new drug which is doing what it's supposed to be doing ( stopping cluster migraines)

I once tried weaning myself off gabapentin after I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage and without a day I was rocking in horrendous pain. The ribcage pain now comes in waves, agony first thing then eases after I take 9 am morphine then builds up again from 5pm until I take my next dose of morphine at 9 pm then the drowsiness comes in ready for bed. I am taking other meds and oramorph in between the waves of pain

• Posted

Only Gabapentin that did not work and Horizant 600 mg, a times-release Gabapentin that works at a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale where 1 is no relief.
  • Posted

Hi,

The gabapentin does help but I also take amatriptaline at night along with other meds which seem to give a better sleep pattern.

Everyone is different and that's why it's best to keep on at your gp to hopefully get a pain control pathway.

Mike.

• Posted

Gabapentin did not work for me but I am getting some relief from Horizant (time-release Gabapentin) - go figure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.