Epidural Steroid shot worth trying if you know it drives you insane?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I feel like this is a non-fix for my back issue with the herniated L5 disc, I explained to the doctor I've had this shot before, and its basically 2-3 weeks of feeling like I'm dying with no relief.

The other thing to try is Physical Therapy which I am leaning towards, though I wanted to see if people actually find relief in Spinal Steroid Shots or if it's a waste of my suffering and time?

The only thing any doctors tell me is that it should calm the nerve down, but I'm not sure how steroid injection = calm nerve?

Any input appreciated!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

See if this helps...

Sciatica

Been through this for decades. My "ladder of care" starts with chiropractic, then PT, steroid shots and then the neurosurgeon. The article describes the time that nothing worked because a bone spur was crushing the sciatic nerve root at L4. Ain't nothing gonna fix that but a decompressive laminectomy. Simple, same-day procedure. In and out...pain gone.

If you're at this point, see a neurosurgeon...kings and queens of the spine.

• Posted

I assumed this was the next step of the ladder of care before they could suggest a surgery, so I think I'm going to do it anyways, especially considering I am on FMLA for a few more weeks for my Colostomy Reversal so I have a few weeks for the extreme side effects to subside I hope.

Last time it kept me awake for 2 solid weeks, couldn't eat, blood rushing to the point I could hear it while laying down. Honestly though I miss my bed so bad, I don't want to recliner sleep anymore, if the prevents that then so be it (I hope). Though I don't actually expect pain relief as the last time was kind of a "Insurance makes us try this" sort of deal.

I was hoping someone might jump in and say "This is a miracle procedure and has helped me for a decade!" to get my spirits up :p

• Posted

Hate to be a bearer of bad news, I had 4 epidurals and each one made me worse and worse put me on a cane last year for 4mos in 2018 right around this time of year.

But I had the same issue in 2015 had one epidural and it worked wonders for 2 years.

So what im trying to say is it depends on your dr. If he dont get it to go in the right place it wont work.

But if he do you have a quick fix thats guaranreed to come back at some point.

Short story about me , I have spinal stenosis and spondylothesis, I couldn't sit down for 4mos, couldn't walk very far, couldn't lay comfortably used a cane to get around with. I was so desperate I was going to pay out of pocket for surgery.

The day I was to travel to another state laying in the back of my sons truck to get the surgery I realized I didnt need the cane to get to the bathroom, so I decided to reschedule the surgery, 3 days passed and miraculously I was able to sit with just a little pain, I was able to lay, I drove etc. with miniminal l pain. Here it is a year later and I have occasional pain that Id rather live with before I do surgery. I still use heat, ice, stretch, swim and walk, but I have my life back.

So hunni there is hope, if you're praying pray harder. I willl definitely keep you in my prayers.

FYI: I am a 57yr. old was a very active woman, worked out all the time, I'm vegan took very good care of myself and it still attacked me.

Good Luck

• Posted

Thanks for the input! It seems like an Epidural Injection is part of the treatment ladder as CHICO mentions, and given I'm already off work for a different abdominal surgery 6 weeks ago, I'm going for it this next Tuesday.

Steroids drive me insane, so O should have about 2 weeks to let them mentally destroy me before returning to work.

Then if it comes to surgery, I may need to take non FMLA leave for it and lose my job for surgery, unless it can wait for 10 months.

Thano you again for your input!

• Posted

I got a case of spinal stenosis 8 months after my TKR. Climbed the ladder of care until I got to my neurosurgeon. Suggested a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF or XLIF or OLIF in the literature). A General Surgeon opens you up from the side and moves "stuff" out of the way to clear a direct path to your spine. Then the neurosurgeon goes in, drills out the offending disk and inserts a device that can expand like a car jack. They stick in an Allen wrench (totally true) and adjust the device opening up the space between the vertebrae so the pinched nerve roots causing the stenosis are free and clear. They back fill with some bone from your hip to start the fusion process and the GS does the close.

I woke up with zero pain, ran the hallways and climbed a few sets of stairs. One night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab. Miracle op as all the stenosis pain was instantly gone. Search YouTube for "Globus LLIF Technique" to see an animation. Then search for "ELSA Animation" to view how the device is expanded and back filled. Gotta find a neuro who has experience in this procedure. You don't have to live with that pain. Get it done!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.