Epilepsy and Chiari

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi

just interested to know if anyone else has epilepsy as well as chiari? specifically absence seizures. i have had them since i was 11 and am now 25.

thank you in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Technically, I don't have epilepsy but have various forms of seizures due to the Chiari. Absent seizures have been a problem for me and found that I could have been having them as a child and was never checked. All I know is I used to get in trouble for not responding to things.

• Posted

Technically, I don't have epilepsy but have various forms of seizures due to the Chiari. Absent seizures have been a problem for me and found that I could have been having them as a child and was never checked. All I know is I used to get in trouble for not responding to things.

• Posted

hi,

thanks for replying. would you mind if i asked how old you are, when your absences and chiari symptoms started and if you had surgery for the chiari? i had decompression surgery for my chiari when i was 15 but unfortunately my absence seizures never resolved like the doctors said they might once having had the surgery.

• Posted

I am now 40. We first noticed my seizures at 20 years old but based upon what they described it was likely that I was having them earlier. I had decompression surgery 6 years ago but unfortunately the headaches and seizures have increased just in the past year. I am now trying to find a doctor that will listen as I moved to a different state. One doctor told me I shouldn't worry about the Chiari since I had prior surgery but I know that is not the case. My prior doctors told me the surgery is just a bandaid for the condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.