Epilepsy and overactive thyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been an uncontrolled epileptic for over ten years. I have tried every medication possible . I'm currently on 300 mg of lamotrigine 10 my of clobazan and 300 my of vimpat. I have blood tests quite often everything was fine in Feb 2018 but then last week s bloods showed hyperthyroidism . In Feb I increased my dosage of vimpat from 200 mg to 300 mg. Couid the increase in vimpat caused the thyroid problem?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Kevin,

Hyperthyroidism is the opposite to hypothyroidism. I myself have the later one and it can run in families. I have two children with the condition. Hyperthyroidism is of more concern than hypothyroidism but neither is good to have. With hyperthyroidism you feel shaky, sweaty, feel like you have to keep moving, sleep little, heart palpitations, lose weight etc...once my doctor over dose me on thyroid meds to see if I would loose some weight. I was over the moon with anger with her and changed doctor. The medications do their job. I was on clobazan years ago. Medications can have adverse effects on other meds, interactions. Sounds like you are having a rough time of it. You have the right to question your doctor about meds and interactions. Blood work  does for sure show the over activity and under activity of the thyroid gland.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply my blood results were TsH 0.01. T4 free level 25.2 and my T3 level was15.1 I'm waiting to see consultant bit I feel so crap sweats drinking loads no sleep feelsnlike my heart is working overtime. Doc said it was unusual to have such strange blood levels and it was hyperthyroidism. I've started on carbimazole 15 my a day . I'm hoping they work . NHS hopeless consultant appointment October 29. Too long a wait. I just hope it doesn't interact with my many epilepsy drugs.

• Posted

Dear Kevin,

I was on so many epileptic drugs five years ago that they were effecting my cognitive abilities. The side effects ruined havoc with my body functions. Ativan works the best for me when I first get a aura. The pill that dissolves under the tongue 2 mg. I hope the doctor can figure out your medications including the thyroid medication so you can feel stable to carry on with life. That is all anyone just wants to do. Do you get a aura before your seizures. I know that a aura is part of a seizure? 

• Posted

I'm not aware of any seizures that strike me.

I've been on medication for ten years

Lamaotrigine 300 mg

Lacosimide 300 mg

Clobazan 1O mg

I'm not sure how or why hyperthyroidism has suddenly arrived on me

• Posted

Dear Kevin,

Hyperthyroidism happens. The thyroid gland is a organ that can malfunction and put out too much homos that affect all other organ functions of the body and systems. The thyroid medication takes time to work. Worst that can happen is the gland can be removed but you will still need thyroid medication. Stuff happens to us.

• Posted

I'm off to hospital tomorrow to see neurologist tomorrow so I will mention it to her to see if there any known interactions between epilepsy and thyroid.

• Posted

Dear Kevin,

Hoping you the best at the neurologist and copying with your thyroid. Let me know how things go.

• Posted

Have you ever been on carbomazepine and phenobarb? I was and have had no seizures for over 25 years. A doctor in San Diego said that I should be seizure free for life and so far he's been right. Another good medication is Keppra which doctors are switching people to.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.