Epileptic seizure or something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My brother (22 years old; 180 cm, 6 feet; 90 kg, 198 lbs) and I returned in the gym after 2 weeks absence due to flu. He ate around 5 hours before the gym. He lifted weights of 60 kg (132 lbs) and this weight is not something that he usually lifts. He felt dizzy, was very pale and was breathing shallow and frequent. After few minutes he lost conciseness, his eyes went up and started to shake. I dropped him at the floor and I tried to get his tongue with my hand, but the jaws were immovable. After 10-20sec his eyes went back on the place, he looked really scared and started to scream. He regained consciousness, but after 3-4 minutes he lost consciousness again with the same cycle as previous (except I didn’t notice the shaking). He took Isotonic drink, some bar and he was much better. The emergency came and told me that most probably was hypoglycemic seizure.

The shake during the first seizure lasted 2-3 seconds; I think that only his torso shook. There wasn’t any white fluid coming of his mouth, there wasn’t urine and he wasn’t sleepy, quite opposite, he felt more energetic after the isotonic drink and chocolate bar. Regarding the screaming - My brother told me that when he started to regain conscience thought that he was in a nightmare and started to scream to wake up.

We consulted three different neurologists. The MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the head was perfectly fine. My brother did two ordinary EEG and one EEG with deprivation of sleep (30 minutes long). Two of the neurologists say that there is epilepsy on basis of the EEG with deprivation of sleep (paroxysm with bilateral and synchronous character). These two neurologists have different opinion on the therapy and dose (one prescribed valproate, other lamotrigine). The third neurologist explains that there aren’t any certain signs of epilepsy and suggested that we should consult endocrinologist for this issue.

I personally am not convinced that this was an epileptic seizure and the doctors’ conflicting stances makes me difficult to properly evaluate my brother’s situation. We live in a country with health system that is not on the high level and prescribing unnecessary medicines is not uncommon. Besides the fact that my brother’s seizure scared me to death, I am really afraid that he might start unnecessary therapy.

I’d like to express my deepest gratitude to anybody that will share its experiences and thoughts on this issue.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI Sorry to read this. I empathise with you.

The drugs prescribed for epilepsy may be diferent but that is  a matter  of preference and nothing to be alarmed about.

Personally I think the neurologists are quite right in suggesting a referral to an endocrinologist. You are lucky in that respect that they suggested this important referral in order to rule out all other endocrinological possibilities.

Hope that helps. Sorry about  the  rushed response  but computer  keeps crashing.

• Posted

As Jane and one neurologist suggested, your brother might want to see an endocrinologist. One of my sisters fainted due to low blood sugar, not epilepsy. It’s also impossible to swallow your tongue and choke. Don’t put anything in the mouth of a person undergoing a seizure.
    • Posted

well said on the 'nil-by-mouth' remark steve.. nothing worse than coming round with someone trying to put their hand in your mouth!  ..i laugh, but as you say, it's simply not needed and coming round in a public place is bad enough without someone crowding in on you..

i'd still like to find the good soul who left me to it but took the £40 from my hand that i'd just taken from the cashpoint!  ..ahhhh, life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.