Epiretinal membrane and double vision. Will a vitrectomy cure it?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had a macular pucker, or epiretinal membrane, in my right eye for three years now, after a posterior vitreous detachment.  For the past year it has gradually caused a distortion in my vision, only in that eye - wavy lines and also a difference in image size between my two eyes.  This has caused double vision, which is more noticeable when I read or watch television.

I have been offered a vitrectomy when I want it - the consultant said it was up to me.  This will remove the membrane, but I am concerned about this double vision.  Will the operation also cure that?  Or will this difference in vision be something I just have to live with?

I'd be interested to know if anybody has had this condition and also the vitrectomy.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had a vitrectomy surgery last june 2015  that they remove a scar on my left eye

that causing poor vision & unstable vision on left eye. . after my 2nd surgery to remove the some kind of an oil on my left eye my vision improves a bit but not significant. I have to see my dr again in 2 weeks to have another check up. Im fr calgary alberta. canada.

• Posted

I had that surgery. It will not completely cure your problem. Not sure about the double vision, I did not have that. I gained about 3 lines on the eye chart. My left eye will never be normal and even glasses don't completely help.

• Posted

I am experiencing the exact problem in my right eye and the double vision is terrible! I had cataract surgery 2 years ago and this problem came on this past fall. I see my ophthalmologist again in May to evaluate me and as far as I know, the surgery is our only option. My left eye is 20/20 and my right eye is now 20/50. The difference makes me tired and the eye strain is difficult. 
  • Posted

I have better vision since having my macular pucker repair but it has also left me with distorted vision., the same as you....wavy lines.  My long distance vision is improved though.  I also find my eye is a bit sensitive to light from my iPad in the morning.  I look at it with my eye which had the macular pucker closed and the good eye open! It takes me about 20 minutes in the morning before I feel ready to open my closed eye.  I just feel my sight is rubbish and I find it frustrating.  I am 65 and I need my eyes for my work which I love.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.