Epischleritis and Rheumatic Arthritis

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

Went to the rheumatologist last month after a bout of epischleritis from 01/15/22 to now ( almost April 2022) i also had a swollen thumb and joint pain. went to the opthalmologist and asked her to send me to a rheumatologist- as i found through research that recurrent epischeritis is related to auto immune disorder .

My lab tests confirmed that i have RA. RA (Rheumatic Arthritis). High ESR level, Rh factor 38, and CCP antibodies 22. Not really sure about the start of the disease. My first eye episode of happened in 2002 , second epischleritis ( a benign symptom of rheumatic arthritis) 2015, third 2022 epischleritis ( this time with pain in small joints of hands).

The first two episodes of eye inflammation did not present it self with joint pain. i am saying this because the first time i had epischleritis the doctor did not ask me to run tests for autoimmune disorder. so if your doctor has not- please ask him to run tests for autoimmune disorder- specifically rheumatic arthiritis.

The treatment plan for me is DMARDS- immunosuppressant therapy- that will stop epischeleritis. the treatment is not steroid ( which stops inflammation ( symptom of an underlying cause. Dmards will change the immune system... not cause it to misfire and hurt healthy tissues in our eyes. Having said that sometimes the cause of epischleritis is idiopathic ( unknown cause), and is not related to auto immune disorder. for me that was not the case.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.