Episcleritis/scleritis and bowel problems?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I realise I am lucky compared to many of you, but I have never had the chance to share and compare.

My latest incidence was about 2-3 weeks ago: One day I started with bad stomach cramps (I am diagnosed with IBS though far from sure this is accurate), felt substantially under the weather etc. 24 hours later my eye became inflamed. As I was travelling abroad the following morning I didn't go to the GP. It was sore, as if someone smacked me in the eye, but no boring pain, so in the event I felt OK to chance it and seek medical help where I was going if needed rather than lose my holiday. I felt there was a connection with my stomach/bowels. Does anyone else have this? Or with celiac?

(Background: I had my first inflamed eye about 5 years ago and it was then diagnosed as scleritis, based on that blanching test. I was checked for immune disorders, but nothing came up, and the eye cleared up fairly quickly (yes, I said I was lucky!). I then had it again about 18 months ago, both eyes involved this time. As it wasn't hugely painful I didn't demand to see a GP quickly, so not sure if it had gone into my sclera or not, like the first time. By the time I got to a GP it was cleared. Now I would generally ring for a speedy appointment, but as said didn't this last time as it would have meant losing my hols. My eye did gradually get better and is near to normal now.)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

[quote:e5a2bf0fcf=\"tebe\"]................I felt there was a connection with my stomach/bowels. Does anyone else have this? Or with celiac?

..................[/quote:e5a2bf0fcf]

Scleritis:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec20/ch229/ch229f.html#sec20-ch229-ch229f-255

Uveitis :

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec20/ch232/ch232a.html

It would appear that both can be associated with autoimmune diseases such as coeliac disease.

As a coeliac who has had episodes of anterior uveitis I can say that the pain associated with it is ( to use a classic medical understatement ) [size=18:e5a2bf0fcf][i:e5a2bf0fcf]unpleasant[/i:e5a2bf0fcf][/size:e5a2bf0fcf]. ( there is no way it could be ignored because of some travel arrangement...)

HTH

Rex

• Posted

i am a celiac and have woke this morning with pain and redness in left eye and on getting it checked out it is apparently Episcleritis. the doctor said it is more common with inflammatory bowel diseases than with celiacs. but i would suggest that anyone with bowel problems undefined or put down to ibs ibd or indigestion that you request your doctor check you for celiac disease tool up coeliac.org.uk for more information
  • Posted

Hello Joanne,

My problem occured last a couple of years ago, but has happened 3 times in all.

As for bowels my IBS continues. Except this last summer I had a period of 'extreme' bloating (well, it felt extreme) and I sort of swelled up almost all over. I think mainly water retention. It was bad enough not only for me to feel all wrong, with very puffy feet, but also for my husband to notice. I was abroad at the time, and after some thought we decided it might well be due to something I was eating more of than I usually do, like dairy aand wheat/grain. cut out wheat/grain instantly and have stuck with it since. It must now be at least 6 weeks. And it was a relief. my bowels still haven't properly settled down though. I have been tested for celiac, at least a couple of years ago, at least 3 times, but nothing. now I don/t know where to go for some diagnosis or assistance. Non-celiak gluten sensitivity perhaps? staying off isn't hard as I don't want that experience again any time soon!

• Posted

I am on methotrxate for recurring scleritis. No real underlying systemic issues. But dust and dirt can cause a

flare. Recently streets, dust dryness...etc. now my doc. Has upped th methotrexate to 8 ml a wheel and am on prednisone taper for a month. Anyone else out there. Life totally changes on this nasty drug. I feel I have aged ten years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.