Episcleritis - What Has Helped

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was about 16 years old the first time I had the misfortune of experiencing episcleritis. Since then I've had it several times a year, for many decades. My eye doctor always recommended the Pred Forte, i.e. Steriod drops, so I used them several times a year, when I would get "red eye." They might have worked a bit at first, but as the years (and decades) went by, they stopped working, did nothing to help, and actually seemed to make my eyes even more inflamed! Stupidly, I kept using them, thinking maybe this time would be different. The pain when I had a flare up was unreal. I had to take a 500mg advil every 6 hours for days, even weeks on end. Until the pain and redness eventually went away on it's own. But my eye doctor--for years-- kept insisting the Steriod drops would work. They didn't. Finally, I found out the one thing that my (now ex-eye doctor) wouldn't prescribe was what I needed: Prednisone pills, which are the only thing I have found to help my episcleritis. If I feel it coming on, I take a 10mg Prednisone oral pill. Usually taking just that small dose for a couple days knocks it out. Really. I hope this helps someone, or at least gives you something to try if you are desperate for relief from the pain like I was. I know there's a stigma attached to steriod pills, but for me they have been an absolute godsend. Good luck to you all, it's no fun having this, it's caused me a lot of pain over the years. One more thing, if you have a bad flare up and have to be around people or go to work, using Naphcon A eye drops will remove the redness for a period of time. You can get them over the counter at any drug store. Best wishes all.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.