Episode of Ear Pressure/Hearing loss lasting 6 weeks, betahistine causes vertigo - anyone else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed with Meniere's after several episodes 2-3 weeks long of hearing pressure or loss that went away on their own in the last couple of years. Now I have had an episode that has been unrelenting for 6 weeks. My first ENT put me on two weeks of heavy steroids, which made things worse, and then an intratympanic shot, which seemed to have triggered some vertigo and affected my eyesight (two numbers down both close and far, which hasn't improved in last month...not sure if it is all the steroids together, but something did it). MRI clear.

I changed doctors and was put on a diuretic - Triamterene, but after 10 days was switched to Betahistine last week 2x24mg. I have been feeling constantly dizzy under the Betahistine.Anyone else have these side effects? I can't seem to find relief from this thing and it is so frustrating.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your condition, have you tried Prochlorpazine?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.