Episodes of really bad rib pain and dizziness - what could this be?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, I’m a 15 year old girl and I’ve got pretty bad pain in my ribs

I’ve been getting rib pain for a while now, usually in bed so that it’s a bit tender to lay in my sides sometimes and Ive been worried my ribs are the wrong shape (think that’s just paranoia though) but it’s not been too much of an inconvenience. But the other day, I was laying in the bath and when I stood up, I got extreme pain in the area below my collarbone, it felt like a bone had cracked or something.

Since then, I’ve had painful twinges all over my ribs, on both sides and in both upper and lower ribs. It’s usually in one area for a bit then another. I’ve also had shooting pains in my arm and back pain across my upper back, as well as it feeling like there’s heavy pressure on my chest when I lay sometimes.

For context, I used to wear a too small chest binder (don’t do this it’s v. bad for your health) and used to get a lot of pain because of this. For around a year though, I’ve been wearing a sports bra instead due to the pain.

I’ve had episodes similar to this before, just not as bad and after researching I’ve been pretty sure it’s costochonditis. I’ve also been experiencing dizzy spells and nausea. For now, I’m just sleeping in a more upright position and avoiding exercise and I’d also ideally avoid going to the doctors for a whole host of reasons, but if anyone has anyone idea what this is/what I should do that’d be great

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.