Epsom salt baths

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anybody tried Epsom Salt baths to relieve joint and muscle pain after total knee replacement surgery?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No. I had tried them before, but the tub I have there is no way I could get in and out (don't laugh, it's a fancy blow-up tub). But I'm moving to a new place and will have an actual tub. If you try it, please share how it does or doesn't make a difference.
  • Posted

Hi Joyce

Yes, I have Epsom Salts baths. I always take to water to relieve pain anyway, but last week started putting Epsom Salts in my bath as my nights were  plagued with broken sleep, dull aches and muscle spasms and my days with debilitating fatigue (I am 12 weeks post op TKR with PVNS synovectomy and bone graft and recovery is otherwise very good).

Sleep and aches are much improved as is the fatigue during the day. I'm not sure if it is the magnesium sulphate or what, but I am starting to feel more human again.

Have you tried it or are you just testing the water, so to speak?

MM x

• Posted

Yes, I have and it was wonderful. I was in so much discomfort and the weather was to nasty for us to go outside in the hot tub, I was well enough to do so, so I filled the bath tub and a cup of scented  Epsom salts and got it.  I needed help to get out though. Lol. I'm now 6 months post. Awaiting # 2. 
    • Posted

Just got out of the tub with Epsom salts, 13 weeks post op bilateral TKR's. Felt good and feel relaxed for now, which is good! We will see if there is a "long term" effect tomorrow morning. Though my left knee is way behind my right in healing, I could at least get in and out of the tub independently....couldn't do that before the surgery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.