Epstein -Barr Virus

Posted , 11 users are following.

I came across a site,  GOOP - The Root of Medical Mysteries. It was so informative, & interesting about what they suspect. Apparently, it is the Epstein - Barr Virus that is causing problems for mostly women that closely resembles our PMR problems & of course, descriptions of other diseases like Fibro-Myalgia. On the site they suggest a diet that I am going to try for 2 weeks.  Has anyone read this information or has comments on this finding? Or even tried it?

Thank you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joey,

I would triple check anything that GOOP offers. It's a very faddy site with a 'science lite' approach. A quick search didn't find much evidence out there.

Having said that, an anti immune diet is always worth investigating.  Good luck! smile

• Posted

Hi Joey, I do not know that site. The EBV has been ID to cause about 64 different AI problems. The last I read further studies or still going on at the University of Colorado as to cause or causes of PMR. As for anti-inflammatory diet, my wife and I are both eating that type of diet. I know it has helped her and believe it is helping me. Think positive, keep looking, maybe we will find some good new information. ☺️
  • Posted

I was tested for it years ago by a specialty lab; results were negative
    • Posted

Hi Twopies, I have also read an article on that. I you read an article a what does cause PMR. I have not and do not understand why more research is not going on. Seems like we have been pushed off to the back burner. Oh well try and stay positive, put that smile on.

☺️

• Posted

There are lots of theories about the causes—I’ve got several that I attribute mine too but the reality is I will never know. I do know that I don’t have the Epstein Barr virus.  Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.
    • Posted

Twopies, I had chicken pox, a few years back I got vaccinated with the shingles vaccine. There is controversy as to whether this vaccine can cause PMR. I forget the name of the company, but there are a number of links on the internet on the subject. I believe the latest vaccine does not use the same method. Did the shingles vaccine cause our PMR? Why is there such a high percentage of the people with PMR have the same genetic background? There are a few of the simple questions with no answer. The medical profession just found we humans have another organ a few months back. They have been cutting people dead and alive for years. Just think about it for a few minutes, they do not walk on water. Listen to Your Body. Think positive! ☺️
    • Posted

Oh twopies, I think you will find that chicken pox and shingles are both caused by EBV. ☺️
    • Posted

There is a load of research going on about autoimmune disease from all aspects. Just because it isn't directed at PMR specifically doesn't mean it isn't happening.

• Posted

Thanks again EileenH, you are always on top of the issues. ☺️
  • Posted

Always look on these celebrity medical sites with skepticism.  Have a look at some of the other things this site seems to be promoting.  I wouldn't embrace any of its ideas without some firm evidence.  There can well be alternative views about certain things but to be acceptable there must be some well-designed research, even if the theories remain controversial to the mainstream.

• Posted

GOOP is a lifestyle brand owned by Gwyneth Paltrow. I wouldn't believe 99.9% of what is on it - it is aimed at getting you to buy in (literally) to their totally non-scientific preaching.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your ideas about this EBV cure. I suspected it was not for real but you know how it is...everyone wants hope. It is a shame so many play on our afflictions!
    • Posted

Joey, I live a pretty normal life on Prednisone, a bicycle rider and skier. My doctor has tried to talk me about trying another drug, but I am staying on Pred till I run into trouble. As doses have gotten smaller the side effects decrease. I do wish there was a cure and maybe some day there might be. Good luck on the rest of your journey. I try to stay active, positive and smile. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.