Eptopic beats when exercising with indigestion!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Evening,

Over the last few years i have suffered with skipped beats. I have had a few ECGs, Echos and treadmill tests and never found an issue, the doctor did catch an episode when my heart was at max capacity (198 beats).

I dont really worry anymore but curious if anyone else suffers skipped beats when exercising with indigestion. It seems to be i only get them when heart is working harder and i feel bunged up, or at times if im driving and feel bunged up.

Curious if anyone has noticed this?! when getting them i feel normal, not out of breath or dizzy etc.

thanks

Dave

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Apparently "everyone" has a few skipped beats, at least that's the first thing the doctor tells you, if the nurse didn't tell you first, LOL. And from there a lot of people have a lot of skipped beats and minor arrhythmias that are still pretty much harmless even though at some point they are extremely scary, but there's no real easy, sure fix. They do often associate with stress, physical or psychological, or digestion, the vagus nerve often being accused of being a crossover point.

So I'd say it's the episode of tachycardia, 198 bpm, if that was just while standing around and not because you just ran a mile in four minutes, that might be more concerning. But just one of anything, as long as you're still standing there, doesn't impress any doctors - they're educated NOT to be impressed by it, for the most part. Only if they can monitor you and catch a bunch of them will they begin to take it seriously.

So at this point, keep your eyes on, take a few notes, see if they want to have you wear a Holter monitor for a few days, but what you say does not sound critical at the moment.

• Posted

When my heart reached 198 i was jogging on the stress test so they did notice them and i had a holter for 24 hours and they caught a few.

i was wondering if anyone else had any similar exp with exercise and eptopic beats

• Posted

Hi, my ectopics tend to arrive after exercising at the gym, so thats the period when i am resting.

When i am resting, my heart rate is usually around 75-90 depending on the intensity of the exercise prior, this is the period i get more PVCs.

I dont know why it happens then, it could be that the body is under more stress (as considered to be the cause of some PVCs)

I dont get them during exercise (heart rate around 120-170) at least not symptomatic ones

• Posted

When at resting rate mine is 65/85 so very similar. My one minute resting rate is -25/40 beats after work out.

i really only get hem when i feel bunged up from indigestion when my heart is say between 145/155 fast walking up a steep hill. Today doing the same exercise my heart was beat maybe 7/8 beats higher than at the same point yesterday but i wasnt bunged up so no skipped beat p

• Posted

I have had a few episodes of a very similar thing not very often but it's scary when it happens. Usually if I eat before playing football even if its 3/4 hours before. I get palpatations quite often but don't ever feel dizzy or short of breath etc with them. I'm 90% sure it's to do with indigestion but I have no idea how.

Have a read of my post and see if you see anything familiar.

Regards

Matt

• Posted

Sounds very similar. im never short of breath and never dizzy. Its normally when my heart is working harder and i have bad indigestion or reflux i get the skipped beats. I have always wondered if when your heart is working harder and it gets put under extra pressure by the Vagus nerve they happen. as it only happens when i have indigestion never when exercising without it

• Posted

Hi Matt, I think everyone has about the same thing to say, what you seem to have sounds like a lot of stories, and doctors just tell us about the vagus nerve and shrug, and tell us to come back if it gets worse. And some people live most of their lives with something like that.

As long as you don't feel dizzy or short of breath I'm not sure anyone would recommend even trying drugs on it. You can try a small dose of a beta blocker, but beta blockers interfere with exercise, and sleep, and have other side effects, so it might or might not work, might be worse than the problem. If you want an experiment, get some dark chocolate, 72% or more, and eat about 50g (2oz) - it has a beta blocker. Wait about 30 minutes to an hour for it to take effect. Also has calories, LOL.

• Posted

I was asked if I wanted to use beta blockers if I was concerned enough over the palpatations but declined like you say, don't want to take meds for something benign.

I will try the dark chocolate but I am currently calorie tracking to loose a bit of weight to see if this makes a difference with the palpatations.

I mean I'm not massively overweight but if I can take a couple of inches of my stomach it may help.

I will report back in a couple of weeks or so.

• Posted

Exercise does not affect me... I tend to get them bad when I have periods of indigestion. I might go 6 months totally normal and then if I have a period of a few weeks where I am battling acid reflux I get them all day long sometimes 3 or 4 a minute. I never get dizzy or anything but do feel "off" without a better way of explaining. My resting heart rate is about 60 bpm rested and sometimes a bit lower. I dont get any tachacardia symptoms as my heart never races. I am 45 and started getting these when I was 29 although they seem to be getting worse as I get older.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.