ER for constpation

Posted , 9 users are following.

my constipation is so bad right now and i have done all the recommended things that are supposed to help and my only option left is to go to the ER. what will they do at the ER to get me to have a bowel movement?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

mix some warm water with a teaspoon of olive oil and lemon juice and then start walking around and lift up each leg while walking or lay on you back and start pretending your are riding a bike.. that will help

otherwise buy some mill of magnesia and drink it..

and if you have that more often you need to change your diet asap

• Posted

They're going to give you an enema. Which means they'll turn you on your side, you move your top leg to the front and they squirt lukewarm warm water up your bum. It does not hurt at all, it's just uncomfortable, because then you have to hold in any desires to go the bathroom for like half an hour.

• Posted

what if that doesnt work? i havent had much luck with enemas in the past

• Posted

So before they give you an enema they'll probably give you an x-ray. If the enema does not work they might have to operate, depending on the size of the blockage, I know that's what they always tell me, I have no idea what kind of operation it might be or anything like that though...

• Posted

i take it you have tried laxatives? drinking lots of water helps and exercise. Stress also causes constipation. sometimes food intolerance can cause constipation like gluten. going on a temporary veg diet may help.

• Posted

If you have tried lots of fruit, plenty of vegetables, laxatives and seen your doctor, ER may give you an enema but may also do tests to find out why you are so constipated.

• Posted

Have you tried any senokot or similar

Drink lots of water and excercise

• Posted

You say:-

“i have done all the recommended things that are supposed to help”

But do not say what they are. There are dozens of recommended things to prevent and alleviate constipation.

The best oral laxative is, possibly, bisacodyl (Dulcolax) takes 6-8 hours to work. Apart from fruit and vegetables, the best fibre is, possibly, psyillium. Dulcolax also comes in a nozzled tube. Insert and squeeze, hold in for a while.

I assume that you do not have any anatomical obstruction that is holding things up.

If not, then you possibly have a large dryish lump of faeces in your rectum. You could try glycerine suppositories. After lubricating with some petroleum jelly or a food oil insert one as far through the anus as your finger reaches while lying on your left side as the rectum slopes downwards lying that way. Stay that way for as long as you can. At least ½ hour. Might work!

It is possible to give yourself an enema and there are kits you can buy for a few dollars. The bag containing tepid water is hung up and after lying left side you insert the nozzle at the end of the tube from the bag into the anus. Again, hold it in for a longish time and then- bingo! (we hope).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.