ERCP

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been admitted into hospital twice will my gallstones. A couple of stones are stuck in my bile duct. I've have jaundice and an infected gall blabber which I'm now on anti biotics for. I'm due to have have anERCP on the 28th and I'm so scared. I've never been sedated so I really don't know what to expect

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle I had to have an ERCP and like you I was so frightened but honestly love you don't remember anything when you come round your not put out entirely but what they give you is marvellous stuff!! I'm sure you will be fine, keep in touch xxxx
    • Posted

Hi sandynan think thank u for letting me know what an ERCP is like. Think it's just because I've never heard of it before and just don't sound normal. Then I googled it didn't I. I read some right horror stories. Thank u so much. I will do xxx
  • Posted

Hello Michelle,

I was wondering how you knew you were having gall bladder problems? I have IBS and sometimes the symptoms mimic that of gall bladder...Also, I have been sedated many times for colonoscopies and surgeries.  They take very good care of you, you drift off and it feels like a minute later your awake and it is over.  Good luck to you

• Posted

Hi Jennifer. Iwas told I had ibs for years. Then I had the same pain I normally get. Only this time I had jaundice I was admitted into hospital for a week had a scan and a mri scan. They found out I had gallstones and 3 stuck in my bile duct. Thank you
    • Posted

What is ERCP?

When I had gallstones I had my gallbladder removed at end of April this year.

Although I am better than I was I still get stomach ache and GP seems to think it might be IBS.

Hope everything goes OK for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Oh that sounds so painful,  I hope you are doing better now...I wish you good health and happiness.

• Posted

Hi Sarah it's a camera down your throat to see if they can move the stones that are stuck in the bile duct. If the carnt move them then they will put a stent in so the stones can move safely on there own xx
    • Posted

Ah I see. I had my gallbladder removed at end of April and although I am better than I was still not completely settled down.

I am going to have a camera down my throat but have not been given a date yet.

I thought that was called an Endoscopy?

Sarah

• Posted

No it is the same as a endoscopy except there trying to move stones if they can't move them then they will make a small cut and put as tent in so the stones can come out when u go to the toilet x
  • Posted

I have had sedation a few times and i was perfectly fine. I had a cannula fitted and they inserted the sedation before i knew it i heard the nurse talking saying all done. I couldnt remember a thing or felt anything. I hope you dont mind me asking but why are they doing the ERCP instead of doing an MRCP first? The only reason why i ask is because when i asked about having an ERCP my surgeon said it carries alot of risks and instead did an MRCP as it is alot safer. I know all surgeons have different opinions this is just what mine said
    • Posted

They have said anything about a MRCP they just said I need a ERCP to move the stones that are blocked in my bile duct. I have read all the risks about the ERCP and That's why I'm so scared about having it done.
    • Posted

Michelle there are risks with everything love! There is s risk if you don't have it done when I had mine done I was terrified and I told the nurse and she explained everything to me. Just tell the people how scared you are and I'm sure they will explain everything! When I had mine they retrieved ,7 stones and I honestly don't remember a thing! After the procedure you just rest for an hour or two then given a cup of tea and a biscuit then you go home you will be told what or not to eat for the rest if the day.
    • Posted

By the way they have told you that you have stones in your bile duct? Well a MRCP only diagnoses stones in your bile duct it doesn't get rid of them I had one before the ERCP it just showed that I had lots of stones blocking my bile duct xxx
    • Posted

Thank u sandynan I know think I need to talk to them because I backed out of it once. I know I need it done I've been admitted twice. I'm now on 625mg antibiotics. I so hope mine goes as easy as yours xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.