Erection during medical test

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's supposed to be normal to get an erection during an intimate medical exam, or so I've read online. However, I was recently taken to A&E after experiencing chest pain, and was given an ECG. After I lifted my t-shirt and the nurse began to apply the contacts, I started to get an erection. As I was wearing rather loose boxer shorts and thin cotton pyjama bottoms at the time, there was no way of hiding what was happening, so I began to panic and said something about the problem. The nurse said not to worry about it and carried on, at which point the erection began to subside. So, my question is, has anybody else had a similar experience of being sexually aroused during a non-intimate procedure? Is it normal? I've not found very much about this online and it's spooked me a bit.

NOTES: It may be worth mentioning a few relevant details. I've had plenty of medical tests and examinations done, for some of which I have been naked from the waist down, but have not been sexually aroused, with two exceptions:

1. I was visited by a GP who came to examine my foreskin. He pulled it back and I got a partial erection. So far, so pretty normal.

2. The nurse at the hospital was male and I only got a partial erection. But I was also previously visited at home by a female nurse who did an ECG. I was in bed for this. I had to remove my t-shirt and the nurse needed to shave part of my chest. I got an erection on this occasion too, but it was a full one. Fortunately, my lower half was covered by the duvet. I still had to get out of bed and sit on the edge while the contacts were fitted, but the erection had subsided by then, thank goodness, as it would have been really obvious.

I am gay, BTW.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

No i dont, but i think it is normal especially if you never had or have intimacy that often...

• Posted

I asked this question on a Reddit forum for medical professionals. Apparently it is very common for men to get an erection when getting an ECG, because the chest is an erogenous zone. The reaction is a purely physiological one and not about sexual attraction. Not only do the doctors know why this happens, but they also see it happen. They regard it as no big deal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.