Ergocalciferol / high strength calciferol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I take 9 0.25mg of Ergocalciferol a day due to having no parathyroid gland and no thyroid gland, I have been told that Ergocalciferol is no longer available and has ceased manufactor as anyone else heard this, and is there an alternative product my manufactor was celltech

thanks in advance

suem

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am the Content Manager for Patient UK and as far as we are aware it should still be available so we will be keeping the drug information leaflet for Ergocalciferol in our content.
  • Posted

Yes I am taking these tablets as I have no calcium glands has your Dr not yet found a substitute as I can only stay 3 days without them and I have got many left,but they will be in the chemists about Xmas time the manufacturer told my chemsit yesterday
  • Posted

I take 4x250mcg per day and if you know of anywhere that I can get some please contact me
  • Posted

Or my Dr and I will be forever in your debt as I have not got many tablets left,thanks
  • Posted

Hilary I am desperate for these tablets and need them urgently please
  • Posted

My Dr is trying to find a substitute for me and as soon as I know I will let you know
  • Posted

I'm sorry Rene, I can't help you get the tablets. All I was able to do was let you know whether or not the drug was indeed still available.
  • Posted

I see these comments are a year out of date. My tablets are \"Calcium and Ergocalciferol\" by Alpharma. No problems now on getting them from your GP. I asked to switch to them as they are the only ones I know of on offer containing Calcium Lactate. I used to buy Calcium Lactate at Boots in the suppliment section until they put the price up by 300% and now you can only get the tablets on order. But I can get hold of Calcium Lactate powder of which I take one tiny teaspoon on my cereal each day, if I am not taking the C and E tablets. Calcium Lactate is more easily absorbed by the body and doesn't need so much Vitamin D to make it work..so I've been told by the only Pharmacist I've ever found to know anything about it. I took it first in the 70's after starting on the original Atkins Diet. Totally by chance I found Calcium Lactate to be the only thing that stopped my knees from collapsing. They clicked and squinged and felt as if they would give way going down stairs. They still click going upstairs, but no pain or weakness. I've been on calcium lactate daily since 1974. No ill effects.

The present Atkins Diet makes no mention of it (it was used to compensate for not drinking milk). And American Pharmacies have now \"never heard of it\", suggesting calcium citrate, which doesn'y work for me. I wonder why they have dropped it?

An Indian doctor got quite excited when I said I'd found Calcium Lactate powder. Apparently her Grandmother and \"Aunties\" all used to sprinkle a spoonful in their cups of tea when they met to chat in the afternoons. So it has been a good supplement for many generations. It should be re-evaluated by our health service to cut old age injuries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.