ERM surgery (Membrane removal)

Posted , 3 users are following.

This was following cataract removal.  I had a cataract removed from my right eye in February which left me less sighted than before.  I had one lens changed in my glasses because the doctor who did the operation thought it might help although the optician wasn't sure.  In any case, I decided to have the right eye put right (ERM otherwise known as a membrane peel) before proceeding with cataract removal on the other eye. This operation was apparently successful and apart from the fact my eye is very bloodshot, I feel fine.  Only thing is I can see a round black circle(like a plate) surrounded by red which 'quivers' whether I have my eyes open or closed.  Has anyone else experienced this and does it go?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How are you doing now tigitigi?  Has the black circle gone away?  I had an ERM peel and noticed a strange black sort of backwards capital E (thick lines almost like a symbol) in the middle of my vision.  I chalked that up to macular degeneration in that eye but the surgeon and doctors have no answers.  I can see quite well now that I had cataract surgery and distance lense put in so that black bit doesn't bother me too much.  Use glasses for up close.  Is it any better now?
    • Posted

Thanks for your interest.  The black circle has gone away now and I am told everything is ok .I have been discharged from the clinic pending having the cataract removed from the left eye. I also have to have an ERM peel on this eye.  My distance vision isn't any better though and am puzzled by your remark about distance lens (no-one has mentioned this to me) but glad to hear you are not bothered by the 'black bit' any more.  Good luck, anyway.
    • Posted

Well, in my case I had the epiretinal membrane peel first, which caused the cataract to develop (I was warned it might).  The doctor offered many alternatives but I opted for a monofocal lense so I could see long distance.  My thinking being that way it would match my other eye while driving, I'd have depth perception for driving, and then I could just use glasses for reading. In the UK you all have far more choices as far as lenses go for cataract surgery.  In the USA, we are more limited.  I am glad you are doing so well  I am just 6 days after the cataract surgery and seeing terrificly (if that is a word).  Best to you.
    • Posted

Could you tell me what is the reason for the ERM peel. Was there another condition with your eye, which needed this. Sorry if this seems dumb, but I have no idea what this is, or why it is done.
    • Posted

Hi,

Not quite sure.   Have attended the eye clinic at the hospital for over a year and it was they who suggested cataract removal from my right eye.  However, it transpires there was a membrane growing over the macular which necessitated a 'peel' otherwise knowm as an ERM. 

Naturally, I was reluctant to have the other eye done, especially as I require a  'peel' on this one too.  Anyway, currently discharged from the clinic until I decide to have other eye done.(Cataract and peel).  Apparently,operation WAS succesful but vision, especially distance, not so good.  No pain at all, though, which is good. Operations also painless so for those about to have the op, don't worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.