Erosive gastritis and acid reflux?

Posted , 5 users are following.

In December 2012 I had an endoscopy due to low iron levels, and was told I should take Omeprazole for erosive gastritis. After I finished this course of medication, I had bad acid reflux symptoms- never any heart burn, just burning in the throat and nausea. I was told by my GP that the coming off the omeprazole had caused this, as it supresses the acid, and now have to take ranitidine every day. This is now becoming less effective. Has anyone had a similar experience? I did not have acid reflux before this medication. Will I just have to keep taking it, but at a higher does, to stop the reflux?

Thanks,

Amy

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Don't get that...an endoscopy due to low iron? Why? If you take those H2 drugs they do stop working after a while I hear. Don't understand because if you have erosive gastritis then you obviously had a reflux problem?
  • Posted

Not sure which bit..? I'm anaemic and had low iron levels so my GP sent me to have an endoscopy to check for coeliac disease, pernicious anaemia and other malabsorption problems that would cause the low iron levels (the only way to diagnose these diseases is by an endoscopy!) gastritis in many people does not actually give any symptoms, and that's why I was unaware of the gastritis.
  • Posted

Oh, forgive my ignorance, thank you Amy.
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

Yes, after taking omeprazole for about seven months I stopped taking the drug. I did call the doctor to find out if I could stop without any problems. I was told it was okay. After stopping I suffered with burning in my chest . I changed my diet and to date haven't had any problems.

• Posted

Okay, thanks! I'll look into the diet, I'd rather not take these tablets if it's not necessary
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

I stopped taking dexilant 60 mg (which is a PPI like omeprazole) a week ago and for four days I had pain and reflux coming back.

I did the mistake of stopping cold turkey as one is supposed to stop gradually because of the well-known rebound effect when on stops PPI medication.

My doctor had told me to take it every other day for a week, then every three days for a week to wean off but I was in too much hurry to stop definitely.

After 4 days of being in pain with my symptoms back I started taking DGL licorice 3 times/day 25 minutes before my meals and it helps a lot!

It is natural, there is no side effect and I feel almost no pain now.

I am following too the low-acid diet described in the book of Dr Jamie Koufman "dropping acid", which is a very important part of my recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.