Erosive Oral Lichen Planus

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 19 year old female. 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with Erosive Oral Lichen Planus (2 biopsys were taken. parts of my tongue, cheek, and tonsil) Since I was so young, the medication has been a problem for me so I eventually stopped medicating because I was not seeing change, just more weight and side affects. They put me on 150 Dapsone, and 120 prednisone. Recently, I feel a terrible sensation in my throat, and it continues to swell constantly. I fear the Lichen planus has completely taken over my tongue muscle if that's not silly to say. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm kind of freaking out and no doctors want me because I'm too young, or too difficult to their knowledge. Im currently just ruled as a medical mystery. Please... any feedback would be extrememly helpful.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess, sorry to read your having a difficult time with your OLP. I was diagnosed with skin LP . I've found stress and diet play a big role in controling my LP. I don't think I will ever be free from this disease but I do believe it is controllable through diet and lessening your stress level. I'll have a break out every now and then but since I've changed some things in my life I'm finding the breakouts become less in occurrence and volume or amount of skin legions.

I have add a probiotic and flaxseed oil tablets to my daily regimen along with a multivitamin and I try to eat a well balanced diet. I do this because I believe the cause of my LP started the same time I was having digestive problems. I was diagnosed later with C-diff which in short is an over growth of the bad bacteria in my gut. After a round of antibiotics is when I started to take a probiotic to replenish the good bacteria in my gut that the antibiotics killed off. Ever since I've seen my L.P. symptoms become less and less. I added the flaxseed oil because of the O-maga 3 fatty acids and it's suppose to help repair the intestinal tract. I haven't been diagnosed with IBS or anything but I do believe I have it and have noticed that my breakouts coincide with the IBS.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find a good doctor that is willing to help you.

• Posted

Jess, I've had erosive OLP for over 20yrs and have tried everything but recent research suggested using Turmeric (an anti inflammatory) but in a paste format mixed with coconut oil and black pepper (aids the absorption) if you do an Internet search for 'golden paste recipe' - I take a teaspoon twice day mixed in a 'shot size' of milk or yoghurt. It takes a few weeks to notice a difference but worth a try. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Jess

I have just been recently diagnosed with erosive oral lichen planus and it is a nuisance. Just awaiting my biopsy results now.Having read what others have said in the forum is good advice. Lots of ideas and suggestions in this forum.

I am convinced that my condition was spurred on by a massive vit d deficiency which i was treated for prior to the condition. Also treated for C-Diff in the last 18 months which killed off good bacteria as well.

I have changed my lifestyle gone gluten free and definatley no alcholol.The turmeric mentioned by las rosas is worth a try it has helped some but not everyone. I have been taking Curcumin C3 complex by healthspark purchased through holland and barrett it gives you everything you need in capsule form. only been on them two weeks. in all i feel the planus has improved. Only time will tell. may be worth getting your vit d level checked as there is some research that shows a probable link with low vit d and good recovery when treated for deficieny. I am going to ask the doctor to check my levels again given what i have been reading. I guess you have to find what works best for you and as I can manage my oral lichen planus at the moment I do not feel the need to go down the steroid route.

wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.