Erythromycin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, New to this forum. My husband is on his third dose of antibiotics. Started with Amoxicillin (rash) then Clarithromycin (indigestion and hiccups) now on Erythromycin. Luckily seems to be successful, four times a day but still has dreadful dyspepsia/burping. Doc has prescribed another dose per day of Lanzoprazole for two weeks. Just wondered as he is better re the chest infection maybe we could reduce the antibiotics to twice a day rather than four times to see if the indigestion settles. We will finish the course but it will take a bit longer. Anybody else had these symptoms. How long does it take for the antibiotics to leave the system.

Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The half life of Erythromycin is three and a half hours. Another study found that the half life is about two and half hours. It means that half of the drug is eliminated within three and half hours. To completely eliminate Erythromycin other factors such as the dose and frequency of the drug, the patient’s metabolic rate, the patient’s age, health and body mass needs to be considered.

However, consult a doctor before stopping the medicine.

• Posted

4 times a day takes alot of remembrance and it is not advised. I do not believe in trying out different medication normally but there are exceptions to that rule. I believe your husband is switching too early. How long it takes antibiotics to leave the system depends on how much and how long he has been taking them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.