Esa

Posted , 4 users are following.

My dad has had a heart attack 3 years ago now and he has worked up until the beginning of this year he has been claiming esa and went for his medical and was told he was not entitled to claim esa as he is fit for work but he's on medication for the rest of his life and he signed off from the doctor as he is not fit for work I could under stand if he was younger but he's 60 next month what can I do to help him

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi jade,

Tell your dad not to worry, forget esa and find out about Pension Credit instead. You say he will be 60 next month, that is when he is eligible to claim PC. It is means tested, he can still work and you get much better extra benefits with PC, plus you do not need to supply doctors certificates. The dwp dont like anyone around 60 on esa so try to put you off by refusing to recognise illnessess that increase the unemployment numbers. Tell dad to relax, get to 60 and enjoy, he may be able to get the wheels into motion before then. Best of luck, Mike.

• Posted

If I was you I would go to Citizens Advice Burea and ask them for advice on how you can go about appealing.  Also go back to doctor and ask him to write a letter regarding your fathers health.  I think you can ask ESA for a mandatory appeal. I'm not sure exactly what it's called but there are others who would be able to give you more advice.  Sorry for the stress this must be causing your dad and hope you manage to get things sorted and get your dad back on ESA
  • Posted

Hi Jade ,

If your dad had the medical for assessment he should ask for a copy of the report

then he can write for a mandatory reconsideration ,it is the next process to follow

it will also allow you to see what the hcp wrote .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.