Esa

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi does anyone know what being in the support group entitles you too and if placed in the support group does this mean that if you get standard mobility allowance on pip will it go up to enhanced or do you have to ring pip to advise them

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

being placed in the support group of esa etitles you to be left alone and no need for you to attend work related events. esa and dla/pip are seperate benefits and will have to be applied for seperatly. esa focuses on wheather you can work, dla/pip focuses on the cost your illness has. entiltlement to bennifit is not automatic , esa icome related will mean you get the support allowence, a little extra if your in the support group. if your new to claiming esa you will get the same esa as jsa, under new rules. if your placed in the support group you will get more mony.  i am unable to say how much as i don't know your circumstances. i do know been rewarded esa support group dosn't entitle you to low rate dla or standard rate pip. hope this helps. 

• Posted

i do know been rewarded esa support group dosn't entitle you to low rate dla or standard rate pip. hope this helps. 

Absolutely correct. However if it is the other way round and you lose the DLA that in itself  would normally trigger a review of the ESA award.

The DWP have said many times that PIP/DLA and ESA are two totally different benefits with totally different criteria. However, in reality they also use an ESA failure or move from the Support Group to the Work Group as a reason not to award PIP/DLA.

What they say is one thing, what they do is another!

dla/pip focuses on the cost your illness has

If that was actually the case there would be many claimants who should see their award being reduced to NIL. My problems for which I get DLA High Mobility & Middle Care cannot be compensated for nor could any amount of money help me in dealing with them.

Being unable to walk to any degree may require me to have a car. We have one (we buy a new one every 3 years) We would have the same car if I didn't have the difficulties with walking. I don't use taxis and if I was  to use the bus - I have a free bus pass isssued 7 years ago when I was 60.

As for the caring aspect, I have no need to pay anyone to help me - my wife does it as a matter of course - as I do for her.

So in my case none of my disabilities actually have an extra cost.

• Posted

i'm in the support group, medically retired since 1991, and have been asked to attend a medical assessment. waiting since early November.
    • Posted

Good luck!! Times seem to have changed. I was medically retired - well sort of, - I handed in my warrant card before they got round to pushing me out of the door!

That decision was made by ATOS on behalf of the Civil Service - ATOS decided that I was unable to do my job or any other job that I was offered. 

Strange really that when I had my face to face for the ESA claim back in 2009 which was carried out by ATOS, they initailly decided that I was as fit as a flea and should be working!!

• Posted

Think I'll need the good luck. I was pushed out the door by company doctor & Moorfields Eye Hospital.

Funny how government does not think that all stress this brings on a relapse or two!

• Posted

has anybody got a good solicitor that I can use for lose of earnings? I am only 54 years old.
  • Posted

being placed in the support group of esa etitles you to be left alone and no need for you to attend work related events. esa and dla/pip are seperate benefits and will have to be applied for separately. esa focuses on wheather you can work, dla/pip focuses on the cost your illness has.entitlement to benefit is not automatic , esa icome related will mean you get the support allowence, a little extra if your in the support group. if your new to claiming esa you will get the same esa as jsa, under new rules. if your placed in the support group you will get more mony. i am unable to say how much as i don't know your circumstances. i do know been rewarded esa support group dosn't entitle you to low rate dla or standard rate pip. hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Being in the Support Group of ESA does not give you automatic access to PIP or DLA.  Are you in receipt of Contribution-based ESA or Income-based ESA?

DLA is coming to an end and claimants are being asked to apply for PIP instead.

In your circumstances you would need to apply for PIP, bear in mind there are only 2 levels which are standard or enhanced rates of Care or Mobility.

Whether, you are entitled to them depends on your disabilities/disorders and what they prevent you doing during the day. Normally, to get enough points for Care you usually need someone caring for you, this may give you the standard rate. The Care Enhanced Rate normally means you need caring for 24/7.

Mobility standard rate is normal, but really depends on your walking ability. The Enhanced Rate is only awarded under special circumstances.

Either way you have to apply for a PIP Award Application Form from the DWP. Do not rush filling it in, take your time because the content.

If you think you should be on the Enhanced Rate of PIP Mobility and you are already receiving the standard rate. The DWP will take a look at your whole claim for PIP, this can cause you to lose or gain various rates, so you need to consider this carefully.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Im currently on income related esa and have been for 19mths i had my assesment 3rd december 2015 and have been informed by dwp today that i have been placed in support group.

I am currently on standard rate care and standard rate pip.

I just wondered wether the dwp contacted pip and they would increase my pip

• Posted

Also my husband is my full time carer and does get care allowance for it
  • Posted

do u recieve payments for esa warl waiting on it being processed? ?
    • Posted

I had my esa assesment on 3rd dec 2015 and i heard on friday last week i was told ive been put in support group.

Then two days ago i received my back pay owing to me.

• Posted

iv only made my claim a week ago hope it doesn't take to long I'm currently on sick from work but it's looking like il be giving my job up as lunch time lady as I'm really struggling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.