Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I have rheumatoid arthritis, back in Feb I left my job. As I wished to reduce my hours due to my health. I worked in a nursery, I was no longer able to lift children, sit on the floor, be active in outdoor play. Only after chatting to my ra nurse she said I'd be able to qualify for pip. I am entitled to standard pip. I am not familiar with different allowances I may be eligible for. My doctor signed me off work last week. I am going to apply for ESA. I am not to sure if am going to be able to claim this as I have always been in a low paid job, and not paid enough NI. My husband works full time, so we are not entitled to working tax credits neither.


2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

  • Posted

    If you have not paid enough NIC in the previous two years you will not be able to claim contribution ESA. As you say, if your husband earns more than what the DWP deem is necessary for a couple to live on, then you would also not be able to claim Income based ESA.

    The answer is simply that your husband working full time according to the DWP is responsible for your maintenance.

    As for PIP, what you may think you are entitled to is generally far from what the DWP and their assessors deem is appropriate.

    There are many that suffer from terrible life threatening conditions yet are refused PIP because whilst they have multiple difficulties they may not be the 'right' difficulties that the DWP are looking for in the PIP descriptors.

    There is nothing stopping you making a PIP claim, but be prepared for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to them assessing you and making a decision.

    Figures that have been produced so far state that just over 25% of new PIP claims are actually accepted and some level of award is made.

    Even those that have been on DLA for many years at the highest rates are just as likely to not get a PIP award - approx 25% are told that they aren't disabled in the way the DWP think is considered appropriate.

    If you do fail, then of course you can appeal to the Tribunal Court to present your evidence to them. Also be aware that unlike DLA - you will have regular re-assessments.

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.


    • Posted

      Thanks. I'll give it ago no harm in tryin. I suffer with my hands and elbows the most. Since leaving work the amount of jobs I've applied for with less hours. I always tell them about my RA. As I've always worked in childcare I've no experience in anything else. Few years ago when I was unemployed for a few months I was not able to claim anything as my husband works full-time. Thanks

    • Posted

      I have first hand experience with someone claiming for RA.

      It took my wife one application for DLA (at age 65) and two applications for Attendance Allowance (at age 67 and 70) before she was eventually awarded AA in 2015 age 71)

      She too has it in both hands, her fingers, both wrists, elbows, shoulder, neck, hips and knees.

      She has all manner of equipment that was supplied by Social Services and was assessed when she was 64 by the Social Services OT dept so that she could at least have some independence.

      Our experience would suggest that you certainly need extremely good supportive evidence (Social Worker, OT, GP, Physio, and consultant before the DWP would consider any form of award.


    • Posted

      I qualify for pip, standard living allowance. I took the relevant hospital records, physio, pain management, nurse, consultant etc. It's not been a year since I was diagnosed, so suppose need guidance.

    • Posted

      Are you saying that you have been awarded Standard Care of PIP or that somebody has said that that is what they think you should get?
    • Posted

      No I have been awarded, i put my claim in April, had assessment in May. Was very nervous, felt intimidated, am in constantly, especially with my hands.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.