ESA

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've been in the Support Group for ESA for the last 3 years. In August i was sent another ESA50 form to fill in. I took it along to CAB with my evidence. Feeling extremely nervous about the whole process. Hadn't heard anything until this morning when i had a letter telling me they've kept me in the Support Group for another year. Paper based decision. Very happy. That's my PIP and ESA all sorted. Now i can relax while i wait to collect my car Friday.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Glad your outcome has been a positive, what car have you gone for
    • Posted

Thank you all. My car is suzuki vitara SZ T automatic. Easy to get in and out of and perfect to fit my mobility scooter in the boot. It's ready quicker than i thought it would be. Once the car is at the dealers do you know how long it takes to be able to collect it please?

• Posted

Mine was at the dealers on the Friday and I could have collected it Monday but I was not well so collected it on the Tuesday, I had a Volvo but I can't get my mobility scooter in as she is a big one, have got to decide whether to keep her and make do with chair and crutches in car or sell her and buy a smaller one, to be honest I'm really nervous on the small ones so will probably keep her.

I can manage with chair when car is only option.

Glad you can get yours in.

• Posted

That was quick. Mine is being delivered to the dealers on Tuesday. They told me it takes a few days to finalise everything with motability, (even though i've had my paper work) so will be ready for collection Friday. My scooter is small and easy to fit in my boot. It's plenty big enough for me and serves it's purpose as i don't go out very often.

• Posted

That's good news. I'm glad that you can relax for a little while now x

• Posted

Well done Denise.

Whilst we hear many horror stories on this site it is often overlooked how many are actually successful with their initial or reassessments.

What that proves is follow the correct procedure give the DWP what they want and you have no need to worry. There are flaws with the system and those with MH or Cognitive problems do face disadvantage if they don't seek help but generally the very ill and disabled will be protected if they follow the correct procedure which includes filling the forms in properly, providing the right medical evidence and attending an assessment if required.

• Posted

I can't disagree Anthony, but whilst doing all of that including getting help if it is available it all depends on the face to face assessment on how you come over to the assessor and getting an assessor that is experienced, fair and genuine.

If for any reason that the assessment is not carried out in the correct manner or if the claimant is not able to put their point across then you will probably fail.

?As Pam has said, it is becoming obvious that the DWP now place more importance on the assessment report than on any other evidence including the claim form.

The very ill and disabled will not automatically be protected. They are just as liable to fail the process as would a 21 year old who works full time and who suffers from say ME or early onset Arthritis.

• Posted

Pam also made quite a good comment in one of her posts in that if you present a letter from say a Consultant that clearly states that walking any distance beyond 10 metres is going to be extremely difficult and painful, you would expect that to be treated as primary evidence.

​Unfortunately if the assessor is more inclined to believe that the claimant can walk 200 metres with no problem and puts that in the assessment report, the DWP will automatically follow the assessors opinion over that of the Consultant.

• Posted

If they see the claimant leave there car and walk from car to assessment centre which even across a road and into a building could be 60 feet, how do you stand then.

I also believe that because these benefits are quite high they probably keep a descreet eye on us.

• Posted

how do you stand then.........

?Maybe on their feet?

If they see that and the claimant insists that they can only manage 20 metres, It is up to the assessor to consider that 20 metres (60'wink may well be just the start of their walking ability - I would imagine that the assessor would state over 20 metres but less than 200 metres.

?They have CCTV and you can guarantee that they have already measured the distances between various points in and around the centre.  

• Posted

That's what happened to me. I had all the right information to back up my claim. But the assessment was appauling

• Posted

it's not just what you can prove but what you demonstrate at the face to face assessment that is as important if not more inportant. The assessor is quite within their rights to assume anything. The report is only their opinion - just the same as what your doctor would say which is their opinion.

• Posted

I do have my moments - not often - just the odd time. Normally I'm grumpy!!

• Posted

The day the assessor came I was in lots of pain. I had a migrain and was sick after she left with worry. And unfortunately with all of the stress I was very withdrawn and depressed. Any time I did try to speak she cut me off. I didn't have the energy to argue with her. She commented on my report that I had very little expression. But that was because I felt so ill and down. I don't know what she expected me to do. She could see I was not up to my assessment

• Posted

Les you will always find exceptions to the rule and a bad assessor but having been present at a number of assessments my experience is they are fair and balanced provided the claimant has filled the forms in properly and explained how their condition affects them. Sometimes we have to accept that the fault is with the claimant and their failure to fill the forms in properly.

Often they will simply state they have been diagnosed with a condition and fail to answer why that stops them cooking a simple meal or being able to take a job. Many people with illnesses and disabilities work and look after themselves without support. The claimant has to understand that they must show why they need the extra support or are unfit for work. It is not an automatic given because they have a diagnosis.

This is why sometimes the assessment goes pear shaped for the Claimant. Their first instinct is to blame the assessor when the source of the problem could have been them.

I accept that this presents a challenge for those with MH issues and those who are less literate. There should be automatic help for Claimants like that.

• Posted

Clare it is hard to comment fully as I wasn't @ your assessment and I haven't seen your full claim.

However, being in pain is not an automatic route to benefit, nor is having a migraine or feeling sick with depression either at the assessment or otherwise.

Again this is where Claimants go wrong. A diagnosis is the start not the finish. All of the successful assessments I have attended the Claimant has mostly talked about the personal care they receive and refer to care evidence. On ESA assessments the Claimant will state why there condition means they can't work. Just explaining how you felt on the day is not relevant in the greater scheme of things although it is handy if you want to put the blame on the assessor.

Anyone attending assessments has to understand why you are there. PIP is to assess your need for personal care/mobility ESA is to assess your ability to work. Telling them you are simply ‘ill’ will definitely not cut it.

• Posted

Hi

It wasn't for ESA. It's was for pip. And I do work still but I was just saying how I was on the day the assessor came. I was having one of my worst days possible. I am in pain 7 days a week. I fall everyday. I have alot of issues but she just didn't want to listen. Although I've only been on pip for 2 years this experience was very different to the last assessment . I am far worse than I was and tjee will never be a cure. I have just left the clinic now after having injections to try to help with my pain as I'm intolerant to alot of medications. So my doctors ( in all departments) are struggling to control the pain for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.