ESA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was put into the support group for e s a a year ago and I believe I was awarded it for 2 years. I did not have an assessment and the decision was paper based. I have no idea how they decide who gets put in what group as I received no details other than a letter telling me I'd been put in the support group based on the information I'd given on the lengthy form I had to fill in. They also wrote to my GP. When it comes round to my having to renew it, I have no idea how they make their decision as I did not have a face to face and have no idea how many points I got and which part I got them for. As there is no assessors report, like I had for PIP, I don't know what to include on review. Any ideas anyone? I'm worried I miss out vital information or do not stress it strongly enough

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Even though you didn't have an assessment there will still be an assessment report written, exactly like there is when you have a face 2 face assessment. They just use the info they have in the form and the evidence they have. You can ring ESA and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report, and everything you need to know will be in there because they mostly go with that report.

Being place into the Support Group isn't about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least one of the support group descriptors, or regulation 35 (special circumstances, which is for those with mental health issues) You can google support group descriptors and see what they are. I can't post links here, sorry.

I know you said last time they contacted your GP but it's extremely rare that they do this, so please don't rely on them doing that for your review. Make sure you send the evidence with the form.

Even though your ESA is awarded for 2 years, they can re-assess you at anytime, unlike PIP. This means they you can be sent the ESA50 form before the 2 years or even after. Some people haven't been contacted for 3-4 years and more. This is why they never put award lengths on ESA award letters.

Don't assume that you'll have another paper based assessment for your review because it's been known for people to be sent for an assessment, even after no assessment the first time. If you expect an assessment then it won't be too much of a shock if it happens. Hope this helps.

• Posted

When it asked you about my mom being put in the support group and was awarded for a year you said she is entitled to it for than year and she won't be asked to be reassessed until that 1yr period has ended?

You told me she won't be reassessed before the 1yr period.

• Posted

I did not state that. What i said was they don't do the review 1 year before the award ends, like they do with PIP. I said they can re-assess you at anytime. Lots of people go over their time for ESA, while others are re-assessed when there time is up. Some are also re-assessed early because as i said they can re-assess you at anytime. This is the reason they don't put award lengths of time on decision letters.

• Posted

I'm so sorry it must have misunderstood, it's all very confusing., But is it rare for them to send for you early?

• Posted

Sarah, i really would worry about it. They re-asses anytime they want. It's unusual for them to re-assess earlier than what they're recommended but it's not unknown.

• Posted

That should i read "wouldn't" and not would... sorry it's been a long day and lots of posts on here today. Can't edit them either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.