ESA

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Well after returning my completed ESA50 form i did have a letter for a face to face assessment a couple of weeks ago. Kept it mostly to myself with the exception of a couple of people because this is how i deal with stress related things in life.

Today was my assessment day and to say i was totally nervous is an understatement! My health hasn't been great the last couple of months either so that didn't help me. It's been 6 years since i had a face to face assessment for ESA because the last one i had was paper based.

HCP was very nice but i won't look into that too much because i know what it can turn into. It was a very quick assessment and only in the room for about 15 minutes and she concentrated only on my mobility and how i manage on a particular day. She did seem to lead the assessment throughout most of it and it seemed like i was just there to verify a couple of things in addition to the information/evidence they were already sent. She did mention the last 2 assessments that i had which i thought was unusual as i honestly didn't think they looked back at previous assessments for ESA. She also read out all my conditions, and evidence that i sent so yes she did actually read them... i was shocked at that too. I know they don't often read any evidence you send. Or it seems that way for many people.

I've been in the Support Group for almost 6 years because of my mobility issues, so lets hope she's as nice as she seemed and keeps the report truthful. She did actually read out loud what she was typing, as she typed. I've never known that before in either of the PIP/ESA past assessments i've been to.

I will ask for a copy of the assessment report middle of next week but i've done all i can do now. If the decision isn't to keep me in the Support Group i'll most definitely fight it all the way!

I'll update once i have the decision. Fingers crossed for me please!! xxx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

fingers crossed for you Denise....i had a face to face for ESA 4 weeks ago and i got my decision on monday .I got putin the limited work capacity group.with the extra £323 a month.Like you i was honest and had a nice HCP .....good luck 爛爛爛 xx

• Posted

Thanks Deborah,

Great news for you i'm so happy a decision went in your favour, it's a huge relief. Just so you know though that the LCWRA element is an extra £328 per month not £323, every penny counts as they say. It's payable from the 4th month of your claim for LCW.

• Posted

good luck Denise hope it all goes well for you and you have a favourable outcome

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Hoping you get a good outcome and can then relax. I have next June to look forward to for the first review of my PIP and am already anxious about it as from what I have read, reviews don't always go very well and despite things not improving for folk, the award gets stopped, despite them needing it. But I am trying not to stress about it for now!

Best wishes, Mary

• Posted

Thanks everyone.,

Mary, all reassessments are a worry but i have to be honest ESA is the worst one for me. It's probably because the criteria with the descriptors for groups for ESA more so for the Support Group is much more strict than it is for PIP.

It maybe useful to start to gather some evidence a few months before your review is due, as you'll most likely recieve that form within a week of your review date. I received my daughters form for this 7 days after the date stated on her award... yay more forms!

• Posted

Hi Denise, thanks for your help. Why do they give you an award till 2020 and review a whole year before!

I am so pleased your assessment was positive. I had an ESA assessment last year and fortunately it went well for me too and I was put in the support group. It was good timing for the assessment I guess as I'd had a nasty fall at home a couple of weeks before, and went to the assessment with a very bruised face, plus I was still feeling very shaky from the after effects of the fall. I had Lifeline installed after the fall, which is a good thing and makes me feel a bit safer as I live alone. I had a very lovely advocate with me at the assessment , who spoke up for me when I felt unable to answer the doctor's questions. I was worried at how the assessment had gone because it was quite short, but my advocate was encouraged by this and felt the doctor had all she needed to know.

I am more worried about the PIP re-assessment as I have chronic fatigue syndrome and it's hard to explain how this affects you on a day to day basis because of the fluctuating nature of the condition, but I know from what I have seen you write many times, that it is how the illness affects you and what it stops you from being able to do.

I don't know that I will be able to gather much fresh evidence because there is no treatment or cure for CFS. Last time though I had a supporting note from my neighbour who helps me a lot and my daughter too, explaining how my condition affects me, plus a counsellor who I regularly see. I have a new GP now and I am not sure she will be all that helpful as she never seems that interested in my symptoms! I may be able to get a Senior Occupational Therapist to write something as I hope I might be getting some input from one before the review is due. Anyway it's a while away, so I shouldn't be stressing too much now I guess. Need to get all the Christmas stress out of the way first! All the best, Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.