Esa advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

He i wrote recently to ask a question regarding my esa benefits.

I have a joint claim with my husband and hes been a worker all his life. But had to stop working when i became ill he is my carer.

Recently my brother asked my hubby if he wanted to work with him 16hrs per week and because my daughter who is married agreed to look after me my hubby has taken the job.

Hes self employed he gets 100 quid a week . He puts the money into his bank account so that he can show dwp proof when they ask for it.

I rang dwp told them what hours hes doing they said put it in a letter and send it to us which i did recorded delivery.

I havent heard a word from them its been 2 weeks im due for a esa payment this friday but dont know if i will get any money. Ive done the beenefit calculator its saying i will get £94 a week jointly but when i checked how the advisors work it its showing i wont be entitled to esa at all.

I dont know what else to do im on a payg fone so cant hang on forever waiting for dwp to answer my call.

Can anyone give me an idea of what i might get

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you put all of your details correctly into the benefit calculator it should give you the correct amount. A benefit calc is only good if those details you put in are right. I'm afraid i can't help you because i don't know all of your income/benefit details, sorry.

• Posted

I put it all in correctly denise at the end it stated instead of £114 per couple i would get £94 it didnt say anything about my hubby keeping his carer allowance he still looks after me 35 hrs and more.

At the end of the the calculations it stated i would get full housing benefit and council tax reduction plus £94 income related esa.

Then underneath it had how the advisors work benefits out.

I pressed it and right at the top it had not entitled to jsa esa and income support.

Guess i will just have to wait for the brown letter.

My hubby was feeling really down thats why i told him to go for the job.

He always worked hard never been unemployed before in the 30 years we have been married so i cant moan when he wanted to work just 16hrs

Thanks denise

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I do know that anything over £20 per week your ESA would be taken off £1 for £1, if that makes any sense? Also another thing you say your husband is working 16 hours per week and brings home £100? This is bellow the national minimum wage and could be questioned by DWP. It's all very confusing to be honest. I'm sorry i can't help you any further without knowing actual figures.

• Posted

My brother does a man with a van each time he cleans out an house he charges £100 so he halves it he has £50 and my hubby has £50 my brother works all week but he as my hubby to work 2 days at 8 hrs for 50 quid

• Posted

I see. There's 2 benefits calcs Turn to us and entitledto, i just tried using the one from Turn to us and it's complicated to say the least lol. Then i used the other one which i found so much easier. Did you try this one?

• Posted

The way i see it is this..if you claim £114 per week as a couple and your hubby is earning £100 per week then £20 of this is disregarded. This means that they'll take £80 per week of you so my calculation is you'll get £34 per week. Maybe the calculator picked up the below minimum wage? Anyway hope you get that letter soon. It can take up to 10 working days to send and recieve post from DWP.

• Posted

Im in the support group till 2019 i also get pip standard daily living and enhanced mobility maybe thats what makes a difference
    • Posted

No that shouldn't make any difference. If it was you that was working then you could do permitted work and it would affect your benefits (up to 16 hours per week) but because it's your claim that your hubby is on then it's different.

• Posted

wouldn't* not would affect your benefits doing permited work. Sorry can't edit posts.

• Posted

Well it just means that you'll be £20 per week better off, if my calculation is right. This is because of the amount the law says you need to live on. Like i said it would be different if it was you that was working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.