ESA and a time for assessment

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there can anyone explain the proceedure for ESA and the assessment time, ive been awarded pip at enhanced rate for 2 years have been claiming ESA for 9 weeks BUT still cant get my head around assessment rate full rate etc etc, ive read you wait for 13 weeks and get 1 rate then after that whatever rate applies if any, if you get awarded ESA after 13 wks is the monies difference during those 13 weeks backdated to start of claim or is the qualifying rate only paid after the assessment, HOW long do you wait for an assessment, you may need the full rate NOW but by the time an assessement arrives you may not need ESA, does anyone know exactly WHAT  happens. Is this a way of not paying those who need it, 13 weeks is a long time when you need help, basically its saying that after 13 weeks you may have recovered and wont get a penny more, i really dont understand the 13 weeks proceedure and waiting for an assessment is soooooooo distressing, whats the longest anyone has waited and recieved a full backdate, anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, please explain IF YOU CAN thanks :-(

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Right the way you worded it is a little confusing, but you will get the assessment phase until your claim has been decided. If your claim is awarded, you will get a back payment from the day they got your claim. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you need the money now or not, they take their sweet time sad If, by the time they accept your claim you no longer need it, you have to let them know immediately. You will still get payments for the time you were entitled, but they will then stop your claim.

I have had to wait 4 months before, but that was including appeal and I got a very satisfactory back payment that made me feel a lot better.

If you are on the Enhanced rate for PIP... is it likely your disability will vanish in 13 weeks? They need that time to evaluate all the paperwork you sent in and for you to have a face to face assessment if they need it.

I must admit I didn't know they were still doing ESA claims I thought they were putting everyone new on UC lol.

I hope I have explained things okay, it has been a while since I first claimed but if I got anything wrong I am sure I'll be corrected soon. xxx

• Posted

Hi Jayne, I have recently claimed ESA.

after I had returned the form they sent out to me, I sent in all the information I had in regard to my disability. I had a response after two weeks which they put me into the support group, as this was done prior to the 13 weeks and my entitlement to the higher rate of ESA then I will be paid this at the end of August 2015.

i have known people wait longer and they have had to have a face to face appointment, however like you I was already in receipt of enhanced rate of PIP in both mobility and care, so really it was inevittable that I am unable to return to work, hence put in the support group. The ESA 13 week assessment stage is for people who are unable to return to work after being sick, if after that 13 weeks they may be able to return to work, although for some people they cannot so they are put into one of two groups, the support group or the work related group. The work related usually means the person may be well enough to return to payed employment, however they don't always get this right as people who have been on incapacity benefit prior to changing this benefit to ESA, are still incabable of working.. But have been assessed face to face or have completed the form sent out to tell them how your illness or disability affects you. Some people are not too good at explaining their disability face to face or in words so can be misplaced in the work related group. This happened to someone I know who was living in a shared house with others with disabilities and they were placed in the work related group automatically, however after seeing a disabled support staff at the job centre, the parents were told to write to explaine their daughters difficulties, but they found it hard to write it down. I assisted them and she was finally put in the support group. 

So there are flawed in the system for some people.

i hope you will receive notification of your outcome decision that is favourable. If it isn't you have to write a letter explaining why you think you should be in the support group displaying all the reasons you can think of considering each question you were asked in the booklet you have to complete.

good luck anyway and I hope this explanation is easy to understand.

• Posted

Hi Jayne

Most of your questions have been answered above. Just a little more info the ESA compoents which are added to your benefit if you are placed in one of the Groups after assessment are:

Work Related Activity Group £28.75

Support Group £35.75

These amounts will be added to the basic ESA rate of £72.40 (over 25) and £57.35 (under 25). These amounts are for a single person claim and the rates are different for a joint claim with a partner and dependent on your personal circumstances.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.