Esa and carers allowance

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i just wandered if anyone knew if me and my husband can claim.carers allowance for each other . we are both on pip and he claims esa with me on claim and is in the work related group .would we have to change to another benefit or could we just stay on esa .thank you in advance

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

sorry meant to say would we be any better off by claiming carers .someone told me we would

• Posted

Hi,

May i just ask if you have anyone over the age of 18 living with you? and that you both claim the daily living part of PIP?

• Posted

hi .yes my son stays here sometimes but hes mostly at his girlfriends .and yes we are both on standard pip for care

• Posted

Is your son classed as living with you? does his mail get delivered to you, is he on the electoral roll at your address, bank statements with your address? Sorry for the questions but it's important you answer them because depending on the answers you maybe entitled to SDP couple rates. However, if your son is registered as living at your address (even though he's mostly at his girlfriends) then you won't be entitled to the SDP, unless you still claim child benefit for him or he claims a disability benefit himself.

If he does live with you then it will be carers allowance for each other. However, you do need to be very careful when claiming carers allowance for each other. If the care you give contradicts the reasons for your PIP claim then it could go against you at your review.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply yes he classed as living here hes on electoral roll and bank statements . he was on tour for 7 months out of this year with his job he is a film /music director so he is hardly home .and when he is is he spends most time at his girlfriends . i see what you mean about the carers if claiming for each other thank you

• Posted

HI I THOUGHT carer allowance will be taken from their pip ??? PLUS he works its a bit risky for them as he cant be in 2 places at once my advice just dont do it you may risk to loose everything for few pounds take care

• Posted

Hi nadnad,

I have no idea what you're talking about but what you state is not correct! Carers Allowance will not be taken from anyone's PIP claim. The son that works has nothing to do with cagsy's joint ESA claim with their partner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.